Shoes & Pedals (New to Road Bikes)

Mageling
Mageling Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I recently purchased a Giant Defy 4 (2012) after the derailleur sheared off my hybrid which I've thoroughly enjoyed over the last 5 years.

I'm going to be using the Giant for commuting so I thought I would describe my commute so I can get some sound advice on specific shoes and pedals I could go for. I've never had a road bike before and will be doing a 14-18 miles round trip, some of which is on a train (15 mins on train). There is definitely some walking involved when at the station, to get to work.

When I am cycling, I like to make good progress so definitely don't wanna have to worry about feet sliding all over the place but also want ease of walking if possible.

Any suggestions welcome :-) Thank you.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Train you say? I thought you'd only fall over in your SPD-SL shoes at the cafe, now I can see that if you wear SPD-SL you'll slip off the platform right in front of the 6.58 to Kings Cross. Whereas if you'd stuck with SPD you would still be around to tell the tale ;)
  • Mageling
    Haha, the Kings Cross train is the main fast train that runs on my train line as well - it could be an omen!

I am thinking SPD might be more suited too. Is there a particular brand or pedal model that is highly regarded among commuters? Also, what shoes would go with these pedals that are also highly regarded?
  • markhewitt1978
    Mageling wrote:
    Haha, the Kings Cross train is the main fast train that runs on my train line as well - it could be an omen!

I am thinking SPD might be more suited too. Is there a particular brand or pedal model that is highly regarded among commuters? Also, what shoes would go with these pedals that are also highly regarded?

Yeah the M520's are regarded as the standard pedal for SPD use. You can get more expensive, you can get cheaper, but these are the best value and pretty much bomb proof.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Why not do the whole thing on the bike?

9 Miles each way is not that far.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Mageling
    I've thought about doing all of the commute but that would be 18 miles there, 18 back. I don't quite fancy that just yet.

What I'm planning is 8 miles there with the last leg on a train, then the same coming back. I know I wouldn't keep it up if I tried doing the whole journey daily.
  • Mageling
    I decided to go for Shimano M088 SPD shoes with M520 pedals. Lights-wise, I also bought the Smart Lunar R2 rear light (£8 in sale) with Smart Lunar 35 Lux front light (£14 new on ebay). Also got the Cateye Strada cadence computer.

Can't wait to get going! :-)
  • markhewitt1978
    Good choices. Have fun!!