Doping in Sicily Race

Bo Duke
Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
edited June 2013 in Pro race
My wife just told me on Italian news today is (and easier to quote her):

'On the news they are saying that during a cycling amateur race in Sicily, antidoping representatives were waiting at the finishing line and some of the cyclists who were advised during the race, left half way and disappeared. The guy that won has been disqualified for doping.'

Anyone heard this and know the race?

Clearly the Italian CU hasn't got the message down to grass root level yet. :cry:
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Was it the Gran Fondo della Ceramica? Couple of weeks ago? The winner tested postive for EPO.

Italian amateur scene is riddled with a big doping problem. Big issue in Gran Fondos and the like.

Oh and a certain Dr Fiorella, who's in charge of Italian Cycling Federation bio passports, is under investigation by NAS, the Italian police unit that looks into anti-doping. :shock:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    think some of the amateur races and Gran Fondos gives prizes and money and as such that attracts cheats. Mirrors the pros nicely when you think about it
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    sherer wrote:
    think some of the amateur races and Gran Fondos gives prizes and money and as such that attracts cheats. Mirrors the pros nicely when you think about it

I think we'll soon see the amateurs in Italy on their vitamins going faster than the pro's. Very sad as anti doping has to work from the grass roots up as much as from the pro level down.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Thanks for the comments lads, what a sad situation, why should a Gran Fondo be any different from the rest of cycling?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP