upgrade parts or upgrade bike?

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Own a Defy 2 2013 with tiagra.

If I was to upgrade to a new bike the max budget would be £1250 to £1500. Would consider both Alu or Carbon.

Taking that in to account and if the Defy frame is worthy of upgrades? Would I be better spending less on just upgrading my existing bike.

thanks

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Why would you want to change a 2013 bike so soon? :shock:

If you were to upgrade the bike, areas to look at (in no particular order) tyres, wheelset, brake pads, pedals, saddle (if causing you jip) - other than that clothing, shoes, tools etc...

As for bikes in the £1250 to £1500 range, there's a lot to choose from in all materials - and your choice would depend on the type of riding you wish to do, together with who's frames best fit your physique. (and which one's look the sexiest!) :D
    Cycling weakly
  • tom3
    was one of the first bikes of the ship so have been running it since the back end of last summer. Have been really pleased with it but I am really starting to take things serious in terms of mileage pw etc and like all things in life we all want to upgrade (stuck with the missus for now :D )

I had an off a few weeks ago which has damaged the crankset so I will need to spend money on the Defy anyway if I keep it.

I may start upgrading the tyres and the wheels to start with and see where that takes me.

That being said, any ideas on wheels then and what should i spend to make a difference over the defy stock wheels.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    In general get the best possible frame first and then upgrade the parts once you're happy with the frame.

£1,500 I'd buy a cheap(ish) carbon bike and then upgrade bits on it a year or so down the line.

Westbrook cycles are selling the Scott CR1 carbon frame for £499 if you are interested in a self build.
  • tom3
    thanks mark, like the sound of that route.

Is there grade's of carbon so I can ensure I am getting the best possible frame for my limited budget?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd run your bike through this year and the winter and then get a new bike next summer and relegate the Defy to winter duties.

If you do this, you'll have plenty of time to save up and decide on what exactly you want. (which is the best part of buying a bike - you could potentially be buying a Cervelo, Pinarello, Colnago, Cannondale - whatever floats your boat)

As soon as you DO buy a bike - you'll see another that takes your fancy..

You could upgrade your bike, but I think saving and buying a whole bike will work out the cheapest and best option and give you two bikes. You always need at least two bikes.
  • tom3
    sound advice cougie, taken it on board and seems a sensible route to follow.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    cougie wrote:
    As soon as you DO buy a bike - you'll see another that takes your fancy..

That's a fact of life isn't it? That bike you've been dreaming about suddenly becomes normal, and unless you've got something top of the range £10,000 job then there's going to be something better out there.

I keep thinking, well if I get this upgrade my bike won't need anything else for 5 years, but I'm deluding myself!