First Road Bike

Bracken606
Bracken606 Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi first some background as my first post here.

I am 46 and looking to get back into fitness after a serious car crash 3 years ago that left me with surgical titanium and steel bars in;

Right leg x1 hip to knee
Right arm x2 elbow to wrist
Right knee x1 titanium replacement
left foot x2 plates

All in all incl. ribs 12 bones broken and a punctured lung. I was in a wheelchair for 6 months and 18 months on crutches so i gained a lot of weight in that time.

Ok onto the bike, I am looking at getting the following around December 2013 (currently have an old and very heavy mountain bike)

Frame: Ribble Gran Fondo Carb Road Frame XS (44cm C-Top)
Headset: Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
Groupset: Campagnolo 2013 Chorus 11 Spd Double Groupset
Wheels: Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Black Clincher Wheels Pair 9/10/11 Camp
Handlebars Deda RHM 01 Bars White 42cm
Handlebar Stem: Deda Zero 1 Stem White 90mm
Headset Spacers: Ritchey Spacer Wet White (each) 1 1/8'' 10mm
Saddle: Fizik Arione CX (Kium Rails) Saddle White/Red
Seatpillar: Deda Zero 100 White Seatpillar 31.6 310mm
Tyres: Michelin Pro 4 Endurance Folding Tyre Red/Black 700x23mm
Inner Tubes: Continental Race Supersonic Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
Handlebar Tape: Selle Italia Smootape XL Team Edition Black
Pedals: Campagnolo Profit Plus Record Pedals

not sure about the deda stem and bar lengths but i am only 5' 1" also I am very unsure of which cassette range to go with but I assume the chainset should be a compact for my level of fitness.

I would like to get into more long distance riding someday which is why I am looking at a bike with this level of gearset.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Comments

• Thanks for the reply, I will check on the tyre sizes available at ribble. The problem with the mtb is that the weight alone is putting too much pressure on the knee. I will travel to ribble prior to purchase to make sure that I get the fit right from the start.

I have got the all clear from my physio but got to start slowly. Ribble do a set of dual pedals that have standard platform on one side and clipless on the other so that may prove useful if i can move onto clipless later.
  • Another option is looking at pre- built like the Giant Defy Advanced 2 which i can get from a local bike shop which provides professional fitting service.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Your Ribble looks great spec!
    I agree with above comment to go for 25mm tyres (for a little more comfort) and double-sided pedals, to give you time to get used to them, or the option to choose.

The 90mm stem sounds about right - but they're easy and cheap to swap over at a later date, if you find the 90mm is too short.

Remember, spin - don't grind the pedals to save your knees.

ps. The GF looks superb in the flesh and rides beautifully - I've just got one myself. Brilliant VFM! :D
    Cycling weakly
  • Thanks for the feedback Skyd0g