1 week, car, tent and a bike - where would you go?

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited June 2013 in MTB general
So I have a ropey old car, a tent and associated camping gear, a bike and a small amount of cash. And a week of time.

I want to go do something on the bike - my thinking is a tour of some Welsh trail centres or a Peak District mash up or a bit of both.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    depends what type of riding you want and how far you want to travel / where you are based?

if it's trail centres you after, you could easily spend a week round wales - have a look at the mb wales website for details

http://www.mbwales.com/

If you want to go a bit further, try the 7 stanes in scotland for more trails centres pretty close to each other

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Home

if you're after plenty of natural riding i would say the lake district. The peak district is great for riding (i live there) but i wouldn't say it would be as good as the lakes for a weeks solid riding (end up with a few fillers)
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    You could base yourself out of fieldhead campsite in Edale, and do some of that.
    Insert bike here:
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Wales:
    Antor Stiniog + Dawn raid on Snowdon and back down the Rangers (off the mountain by 10am IIRC) + Penmachno + A natural ride not too far from Coedy, can't remember what it's called right now, let me know if you want to know the route + Marin.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Campsite or camping pod in betws y coed , great village with a few pubs and restaurants and the marin trail starts a mile away and penmachno 3 miles away . also only half an hour ish from coedybrenin .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • bluechair84
    or
    Two days driving to Morzine, two days riding, two days back :D I know people who have beasted the full 24hr trip by themselves in one go, but I wouldn't do it myself. I've split the drive between four people and still found it knackering!
  • paul.skibum
    I do fancy the 7 Stanes but I worry my car would fail me on the way there! Planning the Alps later in the summer, probably in August so this is a filler week of riding - havent done a lot this year to date so would be good to spin my legs. Drive to Morzine in a day is easy done it a load of times albeit in a better car than I currently own!

Wales trail centres sounds a little staid but for solo riding they may be a good option. I am thinking of knocking off a few places I have not been too and a few of the old favourites. I could drive straight to Brechfa for Raven and Gorlech (as I did CC and Afan recently), next day to Nant-y-Aran (been there before) then Machynleth (new), Coed-y-Brenin (been) after that, finish in Llandegla (new) and the homeward leg maybe taking in Cannock Chase on way home as I havent been there before either and might make a nice warm down! Be interesting to see how my legs fair!
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Wales trail centres sounds a little staid but for solo riding they may be a good option. I am thinking of knocking off a few places I have not been too and a few of the old favourites. I could drive straight to Brechfa for Raven and Gorlech (as I did CC and Afan recently), next day to Nant-y-Aran (been there before) then Machynleth (new), Coed-y-Brenin (been) after that, finish in Llandegla (new) and the homeward leg maybe taking in Cannock Chase on way home as I havent been there before either and might make a nice warm down! Be interesting to see how my legs fair!

wouldn't go out of your way for machynlleth. the natural mach trails (1,2 & 3) are up to much and there's far better natural riding available in wales. cli-machx is good, but pretty short and essentially one big climb followed by one big down (similar to a lot of the scottish trail centres). worth a blast if you happen to be passing, but not worth making a special trip for.

have look at the penmachno trails near betws y coed, old skool trail, but if you link the two lopops together and awful lo of fun. worth having a look at antur stiniog in Blaenau festiniog for a day of uplift & down hill - the blue and red trail are great fun, into the blacks if you want serious down hill
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Wales. The climachX is an awesome trail, yes there's lots of climbing but the last descent is probably the best I've ever done at a centre, only whinlatter has got close IMO, it's just an awesome trail and its easy to session and do a few runs, it's just bloody brilliant and never fails to put a massive smile on my face. A few runs to get used to it and you can properly smash it, the faster you ride the more fun it gets, especially on something mid-travel and nice angles, it's just a blast. Can't recommend Antor stiniog enough either, it's awesome fun and you can really rack up the runs in a day, I took it easy and still got 8 runs in, so 10-15 in a day is doable. Can't really beat wales for riding tbh, seriously lucky where I usually reside in Aberystwyth, so much within an hours drive. God I miss the riding there, knocks the midlands out of the park that's for sure!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Peaks and Wharncliffe. 7 mini DH tracks at Wharny, (8 including Grenoside), marked XC route plus loads of 'off piste' riding. Very good reason why Peaty lives next door and rates them as some of the best trails in the world.

Then you are within an hour of Hope, Edale, and all the Derbyshire trails, plus N. York Moors, and tons more.
  • paul.skibum
    Stiniog would be doable on my bike but I feel I would be risking overcooking it and wishing I had my bigger bike! I'll be on fashionable 100mm steel hardtail for this trip.

I am erring on Wales for convenience of not having to know anything but how to park in a car park! But I do love the Hope valley and Edale.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    or
    Two days driving to Morzine, two days riding, two days back :D I know people who have beasted the full 24hr trip by themselves in one go, but I wouldn't do it myself. I've split the drive between four people and still found it knackering!

This. Head south to the (big) mountains and sun. I've done the drive plenty of times on my todd in a oner
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    Morzine/Les Gets/Samoens/Morillon is on the cards once my house is sold - this is a time waster in between now and that trip! Considering hiring a camper for the drive down south!
  • bluechair84
    or

This. Head south to the (big) mountains and sun. I've done the drive plenty of times on my todd in a oner
    On second thoughts, driving on your own is more expensive than flying, but then you wouldn't be able to take along your camping equipment. But if you fly, you'll get two extra days riding...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    This is very true. Decathlon 2 second tent, camping equipment and bike on plane and it'd probably still be cheaper than fuel, tolls & ferry/train.

Although - better to have the car to lock bike in at night. Also, depends if you wanna camp on a site. If you wanna just find a nice spot and pitch your tent then car is a must really
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Don't rule out Forest of Dene, really nice trails and camping.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.