Kirkby Stephen (Dales Rail)

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited July 2013 in Routes
Thinking of jumping the Dales Rail on Sunday and heading up to Kirkby Stephen. Was planning on just taking a map and exploring. I can see Crosby Garrett Fell, Smardale Fell, Wild Boar Fell and Hartley Fell amongst plenty others. There's loads to be going at.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience/advice/recommendations/specific routes for the area?

Comments

• lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Where did you end up riding? I am sometimes in that area and it would be good to know what is good riding and what isn't!
    cheers,
    Lucy
  • I rode from Kirkby Stephen over Hartley Fell using some bridleways at the back of the town then going up past the quarries. Came back down the B6270. For a better mtb descent, I should've gone the other way round; would have been a massive drag up the road but probably more enjoyable over all. Some of the route was pretty boggy, but a good proportion is decent rocky track.

Then went from Nateby to Pendragon castle and back to KS via the public byway (this was a great section) and bridleways (some of which were just fields where I got chased by cows.)

I will go again and look at going over Crosby Garrett fell or Smardale Fell from Ravonstonedale back to KS. Or I'll jump off the train at Garsdale and ride up to KS via a public byway that skirts Abbotside Common, I suspect this should be a good track.

The Dales rail is a great service. I rode to Poulton-le-Fylde station from my gaff for the train at 8:42. Bacon butty and coffee for the journey. Scenic run all the way up to KS but there's so many stops to choose from all the way up to Carlisle. No issues getting my bike on and off. Pint and bite to eat before getting the train home at 18:38, couple of tinnies for the journey! Good day! :wink:
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Thanks for the v useful info!
    Talking of getting off the train in Garsdale and heading up to Kirby Stephen - The new Pennine Bridleway must go up there somewhere, although it's not yet on the OS maps. We have cycled on the Pennine Bridleway from the Ribblehead area up to Garsdale, then got the train back from Garsdale to Ribblehead, which was really excellent (especially the new fast swooping downhill section from the Cam High Road down to the main Hawes-Ribblehead road (Newby Head)). Also a good excuse to have a pint at the Moorcock Inn!

cheers,
    Lucy
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    Maps of the bridle way are available here: http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennineb ... PageId=114

Hopefully going to do some of the sections on my next dryish day off work.