Breakfast Biscuits

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
What are they all about?

They were handing some out at Euston this morning "McVities porridge oats Breakfast biscuits with Red berries". See also "Belvita"

You teach your kids that breakfast is a cereal or porridge or toast etc, Biscuits are treat, not a staple and now they are being promoted as a healthy breakfast FFS

These things have pretty much identical nutritional value as a digestive biscuit, nearly 25% of it is sugar and it has pretty high levels of fat too.

Compared to actual porridge it has:
    nearly 3 times the saturated fat 24 times as much sugar half the fibre a bit less protein

Its all marketing bullsh!t and they should be banned.

Robert Millar didn't win the KOM by eating rich tea's for frigiing breakfast.

RANT OVER
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Have you tried them?

Also compared to a bowl of "insert cereal here" they are comparable.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rubertoe wrote:
    Have you tried them?

Also compared to a bowl of "porridge with no toppings/additives" they are comparable.

Really?
  • rubertoe
    vermin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Have you tried them?

Also compared to a bowl of "porridge with no toppings/additives" they are comparable.

Really?

Clearly not a bowl of wattery porridge, no. I meant, something like Cornflakes and the like.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Wash down with some SunnyD.

I think cereal generally is a massive marketing success. I only have some before a big ride.
    exercise.png
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    but it says " Porridge oats with red berries" on it and has another highlighted circle with "made with porridge oat" in it - Why would I compare it cornflakes?

You've missd the pooint - this thing is being marketed as healthy "like porridge" and in reality is is just a diegestive biscuit in a posh frock.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rubertoe
    Either way, they are tasty.

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    t4tomo wrote:
    but it says " Porridge oats with red berries" on it and has another highlighted circle with "made with porridge oat" in it - Why would I compare it cornflakes?

You've missd the pooint - this thing is being marketed as healthy "like porridge" and in reality is is just a diegestive biscuit in a posh frock.
    Yeah it's all marketing bumpf. As you point out it's basically an unhealthy Digestive biscuits with the word "oats" and "berries" jammed into the name to make you think it's good for you. Basically it'll be mainly processed, refined sugars, fat and flavourings - all you need for an (un)healthy breakfast, just like many other highly calorific, processed breakfast cereals, pop tart-y type stuff...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    marketing :evil: Did they make arsenic into a baby food yet?*

*(obscure Bill Hicks reference)
    FCN = 4
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    How are they comparable to cereal, surely they have naff all protein? At least a bowl of whatever with milk has some protein. I'll be sticking to porridge + banana I think.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    How are they comparable to cereal, surely they have naff all protein? At least a bowl of whatever with milk has some protein. I'll be sticking to porridge + banana I think.

I don't think the presence of protein necessarily rescues Coco Pops/Frosties/Crunch Nut Cornflakes et al from dietary disaster! They're all fatty, sugary, highly calorific processed sugar heavy rubbish... Adding a glass of milk doesn't really help matters...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

I don't think the presence of protein necessarily rescues Coco Pops/Frosties/Crunch Nut Cornflakes et al from dietary disaster! They're all fatty, sugary, highly calorific processed sugar heavy rubbish... Adding a glass of milk doesn't really help matters...

Of course not, but better some protein than none at all!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    rubertoe wrote:

You need re-educating. A biscuit isn't a biscuit if it isn't a chocolate* one.

*and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I still struggle to get up hills....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

All biscuits are good but can only ever be improved by the addition of chocolate. Take the humble moo-cow biscuit, tasty as it is there is an infinite improvement once chocolate is added. (I am now considering the merits of pink wafers dipped in dark chocolate...)

As for these "breakfast" biscuit, they are just another thing for the fat blobs stuck behind computers to eat on their "health" kicks! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    menthel wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

All biscuits are good but can only ever be improved by the addition of chocolate. Take the humble moo-cow biscuit, tasty as it is there is an infinite improvement once chocolate is added. (I am now considering the merits of pink wafers dipped in dark chocolate...)

As for these "breakfast" biscuit, they are just another thing for the fat blobs stuck behind computers to eat on their "health" kicks! ;)

Are you spying on me?

• Got given a big handful of them at work. They taste OK but only as snacks. Who'd want one as an actual breakfast is a mystery to me. And if you want a snack you'd get a proper biscuit. Maybe they'll be extinct soon.

Thought they might be useful on long rides but all that fibre etc counts against them. Might be useful at the start of a longer ride though, especially if I didn't pay anything for them!
  • menthel
    rubertoe wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Are you spying on me?

Err... No...

(Runs off and hides behind bin)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    menthel wrote:

Hmm, for me they are more practical than a bowl of cereal in the car if I have a 5.30 am start for a drive to work, and there is no way I can eat anything before I leave the house. (Even getting out of bed before I leave the house is a struggle. )
  • menthel
    slowsider wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Hmm, for me they are more practical than a bowl of cereal in the car if I have a 5.30 am start for a drive to work, and there is no way I can eat anything before I leave the house. (Even getting out of bed before I leave the house is a struggle. )

The cereal would be no good for you either! ;)

I never have breakfast until I get to work but then again have the facility to do this, so count myself lucky. I wouldn't be filled up by some biscuits for my brekkie though.
    RIP commute...
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    menthel wrote:
    I never have breakfast until I get to work but then again have the facility to do this, so count myself lucky. .

So, I'm seeing you at work eating your healthy breakfast....
    menthel wrote:

just another thing for the fat blobs stuck behind computers to eat on their "health" kicks! ;)

:mrgreen:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    No one else thought the thread title was some sort of euphemism?

Ok

Just me then.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!