Sorry, yet another 'which bike' thread!!

springer64
springer64 Posts: 25
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm sure you're all not sick of these one bit!! :wink: Anyway, in a nutshell. Discovered cycling again through a new folder for the last bit of my commute (8 miles a day), which drove me to dust off my old shed-based bike (a cheapo Saracen with huuuuge knobbly tires) for some 10-12 milers round the local lanes on my days off. I'm a big lad and seeing some weight finally dropping off is a fantastic spur to get out. Exhilarating is the word, but blimey it's hard going :shock: Looking at a new bike around the £500-£600 mark on the C2W scheme - roads yes, but not with tyres thinner than a human hair or 'owt silly. Set my sights on the Specialized Tricross 2011 for something a bit more versatile, but the Jamis Satellite Comp has honed into view. I had a beautiful Coventry Eagle steel tourer around 30 years ago - cycled everywhere and have never been as fit in my life - and there's something old-school and lovely about the Jamis which appeals. Thoughts?? Other suggestions?? Or, conversely, you can ignore this newbie completely. Wasn't sure whether to stick this in the beginners forum or here, but hey-ho. This site is such a great resource - thanks all.

Comments

• Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Why don't you want narrow tyres? Is the terrain not suitable or is it that you've never ridden on them before, or have you but hate them that much?
  • springer64
    Never had thin tyres and the roads around us are patchy, but then there are plenty of club riders out and about (we live right on the route of next year's TdF), so they can't be too bad. No plans to off-road, but there are a few decent flat tracks that the Tricross might enjoy. Combination of those, really.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Sounds like you'd be better off with a road bike than a 'cross bike, if you're not going to be going off-road. I'm pretty sure that after one or two rides you'd be comfortable with narrow tyres.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I personally love the tricross, but if you are sticking to road you are better with a a road bike. Honestly, they are comfy!
    Insert bike here:
  • springer64
    Tricross purchased, collected Friday. Working at the w/e, so just been for its inaugural trip round Brontecestershire. Just shy of 15 miles, plenty of long hills and my god, the views!! Very pleased, although those cheapy plastic test pedals and straps have had their first and last outing :shock:

9292897208_a88d5b0689.jpg