Torque Wrench

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Right,

Just finalising the bits for a build, nearly acquired all the parts and have a the rest arriving over the next few days.

Do i need a torque wrench and is it worth forking out for one, or can i get away with a spanner/alan keys?

If so can someone recomend me one, I want Park quality at Aldi prices.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have a couple and don't use them, what I do use is a Ritchey Torque key (the version with replaceable bits) - for stem and seatpost, nothing else really warrants a torque wrench IMO (and I only bother with the Ritchey thing as it's just as convenient to use as an allen key)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    As the above poster Topeak make a reasonable enough one thats available for £12ish. To be honest though if you arent a moron and use the appropriate length allen keys you'll not over-tighten anything anyway so its a bit of a waste but useful for clamping stems and seat posts in.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Get the BBB or something similar. Just saves worry - but do use it carefully. Make sure you are happy with how it works - eg test it on bolts already torqued to see how it behaves.

People think they know how much torque needs to be applied but they don't really.

To stem and seatpost I'd add front mech band and bars plus saddle rails (if carbon) and anything else that has a torque setting written on it. Not so many things really but I'm often surprised at how much use I get from the torque wrench but I do do a lot of miles. I also use a big Lidl torque wrench for cassette and BB.

It's one of those tools you buy now or not at all!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • uberkraaft
    uberkraaft Posts: 97
    I plumped for this from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RO1ZCG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - Really impressed with quality, accuracy & price. Probably more than I need for the bike but I might find other uses! :)
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Ice Tools torque wrench £50 at Evans Cycles, same one at Halfords £40.

Evans price matched Halfords and sold it to me for £35 :shock:

It's good to have one and £35 quid is not a lot of money.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I would echo the above - you still have to use them cautiously - the only time I've ever had a bolt shear is when using a torque wrench - yet I've never crushed a seat post or had bars slip whilst tightening manually!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TommyEss wrote:
    the only time I've ever had a bolt shear is when using a torque wrench - yet I've never crushed a seat post or had bars slip whilst tightening manually!

Agree with the above. I have heard of far more cases of damage being done with a torque wrench, than without...
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    This is the only one to buy...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-torque- ... able-bits/

On site and in a workshop, torque wrenches are frequently checked for calibration. Be careful of picking one out of the tool draw and using it once every six months.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Same. Had more problems using them than not. So dont use them anymore.

imo it's used by manufacturers to cover themselves for failures. I would rather go by experience and feel anyday. On a pushbike a bolt is either tight (bottom bracket) or nipped (stems etc..) no need for a torque wrench, never seen a bike mechanic reaching for a torque wrench.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nipped?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills