Di2 Ultegra 6770, Dura-Ace 9000 or Campagnolo Record??

ironman69
ironman69 Posts: 40
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi Again

As per the title really! :)

Each of these fall within my budget on a bespoke build - but which would you choose??

Where I live the hills have handrails (In the next county they have eye's!!) no let up, and I do a fair bit of fast club riding but no racing!

The Dura-Ace and Campag are the normal mechanical groupsets.

Any pointers would be more than appreciated

IM

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,845
    Wait until the new 11 speed Ultegra DI2 comes out.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • SRAM Red 22
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    DA 9000
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Record.

And that I think concludes this thread. I hope the forum advice was useful to you Ironman69 :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    smidsy wrote:
    DA 9000

This. Makes all other gruppos look a bit pants.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Its got to be DA 9000 or Record, I'm a Shimano user for my sins and that Ultegra looks shite and it's an easy way to destroy the looks of a good bike.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Bozman wrote:
    Its got to be DA 9000 or Record, I'm a Shimano user for my sins and that Ultegra looks shite and it's an easy way to destroy the looks of a good bike.

Some people feel the same way about Brooks saddles and Ariones. Each to their own.

The fact is that with the new internal batteries, you would need to look twice to see if a bike had Di2. To say it destroys the look of a bike is personal taste and a bit extreme.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    I guess it depends what you are looking for in a bike... in theory for best performance shifting etc, you should go electronic... especially at 11 speed... but as you probably know electronics are not made to last for many years, especially outdoors... so I have the feeling (and it is my personal feeling) that any electronic group set is little more than a disposable thing, good for 5 years... maybe a bit more if kept indoor most of the time, which is more than many hold on to their groupsets for anyway... if you are having a bespoke bike built, with the idea of keeping it for the next 20 years, then I would probably go mechanical. Record or DA is up to your preference really
    left the forum March 2023
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    For best performance definitely DA 9000.

Hit a pot hole and Di2 could go into safe mode for 10mins - meaning you have no gears except 39x16 or whatever it is - this has happened. Have a crash and the same thing will happen! This would be Ok when training (although might annoy your fellow riders) but in a race total disaster!
  • ironman69
    I guess it depends what you are looking for in a bike... in theory for best performance shifting etc, you should go electronic... especially at 11 speed... but as you probably know electronics are not made to last for many years, especially outdoors... so I have the feeling (and it is my personal feeling) that any electronic group set is little more than a disposable thing, good for 5 years... maybe a bit more if kept indoor most of the time, which is more than many hold on to their groupsets for anyway... if you are having a bespoke bike built, with the idea of keeping it for the next 20 years, then I would probably go mechanical. Record or DA is up to your preference really

Good point about lifespan - and yes the bespoke idea is a long term idea - swaying towards the mech DA and Record

The looks of the Ultegra - Great idea to have the elec shifter etc but have to agree that looks wise the other two win hands down.

'Grill' - Is that what you went for on your WM ??
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited June 2013
    For the best value: Ultegra 6870. Due out mid-August - I believe.

However, I would personally choose DA9000 over a Di2 setup.
  • ironman69
    Percy Vera wrote:

Hit a pot hole and Di2 could go into safe mode for 10mins - meaning you have no gears except 39x16 or whatever it is - this has happened. Have a crash and the same thing will happen! This would be Ok when training (although might annoy your fellow riders) but in a race total disaster!

Something I definitely didn't know about :shock:

Thanks
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Are there any problems with the 9000?
    A mechanic mentioned the gear cable line from the shifter is more complex and not as smooth. Otherwise I'm tempted.

Been on the 6700 for a few years, which is ok, but nothing special. The 6600 has better shifting.

Tried the 6770 Di2 on a hire bike for a week. Lovely, but I'm still not convinced by electronic shifting, seems wrong. Also, the potential to break stuff at great expense seems high.
    exercise.png
  • Bar Shaker
    Percy Vera wrote:

You don't have Di2 do you?

Have a crash - stuff breaks. No shit!

Except it doesn't. The crash protection mode is there to save the RD if it is wacked. If you dropped the bike on the RD, it will disconnect internally and suffer no damage. If you did this with your DA/Record RD, you will be buying a new one.

As for hitting a pot hole and it being disabled for 10 minutes... If you rear wheel was any where rideable after a shock hard enough to cause this, then you press and hold the button on the control unit for 5 seconds and it re-connects to the motor unit. If, that is, your wheel was not square and you had not shattered your seat stays.

So what we get from your post is that crashing with anything other than Di2 will be a minor inconvenience to your fellow riders or your race chances, but crash with Di2 and you will be forever shunned/destined to walk over finish lines. Or not, as the case may be.

Don't let that stop you spouting anti Di2 bollox, though.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    TheStone wrote:
    Are there any problems with the 9000?
    A mechanic mentioned the gear cable line from the shifter is more complex and not as smooth. Otherwise I'm tempted.

Nope. Only thing I've seen is clicking from the cassette when the lockring is over-torqued.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Record is a joy to use, the shifting is fantastic, I love the positive feel. In fact shifting with campag is quite addictive. sad i know. Best looking chainsets out there too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Record is a joy to use, the shifting is fantastic, I love the positive feel. In fact shifting with campag is quite addictive. sad i know. Best looking chainsets out there too.

This. It's been proven in some of the world's top laboratories and in front of a panel of really fit birds.

None of them – mechanical or battery operated – are a patch on Super Record though. It’s the Lynx advert of group sets.
  • Percy Vera
    Bar Shaker wrote:

You don't have Di2 do you?

Have a crash - stuff breaks. No shoot!

Except it doesn't. The crash protection mode is there to save the RD if it is wacked. If you dropped the bike on the RD, it will disconnect internally and suffer no damage. If you did this with your DA/Record RD, you will be buying a new one.

As for hitting a pot hole and it being disabled for 10 minutes... If you rear wheel was any where rideable after a shock hard enough to cause this, then you press and hold the button on the control unit for 5 seconds and it re-connects to the motor unit. If, that is, your wheel was not square and you had not shattered your seat stays.

So what we get from your post is that crashing with anything other than Di2 will be a minor inconvenience to your fellow riders or your race chances, but crash with Di2 and you will be forever shunned/destined to walk over finish lines. Or not, as the case may be.

Don't let that stop you spouting anti Di2 bollox, though.

No I don't have Di2, but I was riding with a mate last week who does - and he hit a pot hole (not that big) and it stopped working. I didn't know about holding the button for 5 secs (nor did my mate) as we had to ride home very slowly.

So are you saying the Di2 RD doesn't break like a mechanical one would?? I'm guessing it would as it's made from the same stuff. Although I've never seen a rear mech of any kind break except one that's gone into the spokes, and even Di2 wouldn't recover from that. I would rather replace a DA 9000 rear mech than a Di2 one!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Percy Vera wrote:
    So are you saying the Di2 RD doesn't break like a mechanical one would?? I'm guessing it would as it's made from the same stuff. Although I've never seen a rear mech of any kind break except one that's gone into the spokes, and even Di2 wouldn't recover from that. I would rather replace a DA 9000 rear mech than a Di2 one!

Because the Ui2 is about £30 more than the DA9000?
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

This. It's been proven in some of the world's top laboratories and in front of a panel of really fit birds.

None of them – mechanical or battery operated – are a patch on Super Record though. It’s the Lynx advert of group sets.

Indeed, it's Super Record I have :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegreatdivide
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've got both :lol:
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera wrote:

Because the Ui2 is about £30 more than the DA9000?

Not sure what you're talking about... no such thing as Ui2!! :? :D

£30 is £30
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited June 2013
    Don't have Campagnolo so will leave it to those that do to comment.

I have 9000 mechanical, 9070 and 7970 electric.

If I was limited to one bike with one groupset, then it would be 9000 mechanical. You give very little away, if anything, in performance to electric and for me knowing I can resolve most problems on the road on a mechanical groupset is a strong point. Particularly if I am heading to the Alps for a week then I prefer mechanical, knowing a can take a small set of tools and sort out most problems.
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've got both :lol:

Boo! My duffer bike has Athena.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I've had 7900 and Ultegra Di2 (commonly known as Ui2).

I would never go back to mechanical.

When travelling abroad for Alpine sportives, the electronic is as simple to finely set up. I haven't needed any extra tools. In terms of ruggedness, I have found it better than mechanical. No pot hole has put it out and I have hit a few!

The upsides - speed, smoothness, ease of gear change. No reaching around on FD changes. Multishift. No momentary change of power when changing gear.

The downside - slight additional weight. I noticed it when picking the bike up in one hand straight afer fitting but not on the bike. I think my fingers are getting chubby from lack of exercise. :)
  • napoleond
    Di2 stands for digital integrated intelligence. Not Dura Ace illectrick 2 or some such. So Ultegra should not be referred to as Ui2 as that is just silly. Like my least favourite band have teamed up with apple or something.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegreatdivide
    What tools do you need to adjust a mechanical groupset when away from home? Two hands – one to turn the barrel adjuster and one to shift up one click. A small Philips screwdriver to adjust the front mech, which, if installed properly shouldn’t need adjusted anyway. The only reason to buy mechanical is if you can’t be bothered to learn how to fix a bike – which is pretty sad tbh.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Campagnolo chainsets do look so much better than current Shimano but that part might come down to what BB standard the frame has.
  • Bar Shaker
    Percy Vera wrote:

Yep, correct.

I can never see a situation where Di2 would go into the spokes, but then it shouldn't happen with any correctly adjusted mech. I diubt anything would survive such an event, even Super Record :wink:

If you wanted to change the indexing on your gears, this can be done without even stopping riding. Hit the controller button briefly and then move the index point left or right with the shift buttons. Each button press moves the rear mech 0.2mm. The manual says to adjust inboard until you hear cog/chain contact and then adjust out 4 presses. You might want to tell your mate that too.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro