On-One Smorgasbords?

Kowalski675
Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone tried the Smorgasbord tyres from On-One, and have any feedback on them? They're supposedly made by Maxxis and very cheap (at that price they seem to good to be true).

Comments

• Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    Has anyone tried the Smorgasbord tyres from On-One, and have any feedback on them? They're supposedly made by Maxxis and very cheap (at that price they seem to good to be true).

Got them on my Ghost 29er, really good tyres for the price but I have little to compare them to as the Rapid Rob's that came on mine originally were shite! That said we encountered all sorts of different terrains on that 4 day bike ride I mentioned and had zero issues when all around me were having punctures and slides galore. I don't think they'll rival the latest super max grip, float at light speed through rock strewn boulder fields like your on air £100 tyres, but then they're only £15 each so thats not a fair comparison either. I reckon they'd be up there with the best in their price range and slightly above definitely.
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • Kowalski675
    Cheers. My new bike's shod with Conti Mountain King 2.2 wired OE rubber, and by all accounts they're meant to be p**s poor and scary in wet conditions, so I'm thinking of whipping them off and selling them unused fpr a few quid and fitting something better. I'm not a racer (or fast) so don't need the fastest roling rubber, I want a confidence inspiring all round trail tyre that doesn't cost a fortune, and the Smorgasbord's look like a strong contender. They're made by Maxxis, but I don't know if that means they compare favourably to Maxxis's own rubber - I've had car tyres made by premium tyre manufacturers as cheaper rebranded midrange rubber that have been fine in the dry, but awful in the wet.
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    No worries, they do pack a bit more rolling resistance on hard pack and tarmac but thats not what they're intended for though. I found this review useful when I bought mine: http://twentynineinches.com/2012/10/21/ ... al-review/
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • Kowalski675
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the link, I couldn't find much to go on when I googled them. They sound promising, but it sounds like they measure a bit bigger than their nominal 2.25 size, and the left tyre edge does run close to the chainstay on my new bike with its 2.2 Contis on (which measure bang on 2.2" mounted on my rims). I don't want something super draggy, but they don't need to be ultra fast rolling (I'm not fast, and the bike won't ever get used on tarmac - I've still got my Kraken if I want to go out locally to work on fitness, so I might put something narrower and faster rolling on that, my mate's 2.1 70 compound High Roller XCs roll really well).
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've been running 26in. Smorgasbords since January now, the trail extreme up front and enduro out back. Really like them. So far they've coped nicely with mud, stood up well to some proper sharp rocky stuff in wild Wales and were really nice Wednesday round a dry and dusty Cannock.

Pretty chuffed. Good grip and corner nicely, kind of predictable and don't just let go in the way that some tyres such as highrollers do if you're not quite comitting enough for them. Rolling resistance isn't their strong point, but then, that's not what they're designed for really.

As it happens I have the bike in the bedroom at the moment, only have a metal ruler up here with me though, think my calliper is back at home, anyway I've measured the tyres best I could, they're 2.25-2.3 inches wide, certainly no wider.
  • Kowalski675
    Thanks, useful info there.

I won't ask why you've got a ruler in your bedroom, lol... :wink: