Fort bill DH on scott spark 30?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited July 2013 in Routes
Im an experienced rider and always go for the black at trail centres and have done for some years but in 2 weeks me and my riding buddy are going on a Scotland road trip to see what Scotland has too offer. I really want to try the DH at Fort William. I am not saying for a second ill be able to do it at anywhere the same speeds as on a proper DH rig but is it possible on a 120mm FS And more importantly on my mates 120 HT, Thanks.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fort William is one track where you need a big bike. Its just huge rocks and massive jumps.
    I know several people who have snapped DH bikes there.
    On an xc bike there are sections you just wont be able to ride, you need speed to get through the rock gardens but its unlikely your wheels will take much of that abuse.
  • Pretty sure someone on here has done it on a HT... Northwind maybe?

You won't be fast at all, but I don't see why not. Only thing I'd be wary of are the steeper sections, might be difficult with xc geometry.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I did it on a hardtail. One with a 65 degree head angle, big forks and built like a tank. It was very tough and I wouldnt want to do it on an xc bike.
    Even on a full sus downhill bike it takes serious talent and fitness to manage a full run at even a moderate speed.
    Fort Bill is by fay the toughest dh track I have ridden.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    isn't there a red run to do as well though which is mainly woodwork, that might not be so bad?
  • rockmonkeysc
    There is but its a red DH trail so still pretty tough with some pretty ugly sections.
    You can hire a DH bike at Fort Bill. It will be a lot more fun and you wont destroy it.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    just an update for people in the future the video's on you tube ect do not do this trail justice its SO much steeper than it looks.

I did it on my spark 30 or much more amazingly my friend did it on his Carrera Vulcan haha please don't judge us by our bikes we are very good mountain bikers on very tight student budgets! This trail in terms of XC is like the downhill parts of a double black. To get down it at even the slowest possible speed without a big accident needs someone who is very comfortable with all black XC before even thinking about attempting it. VERY GOOD FUN THOUGH!!!! P.S. don't try going fast on your xc bike down It the bike cannot take the punishment but it is possible to do slowly and still great fun.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build