Won my first proper race !!

Conorstreete
Conorstreete Posts: 45
edited July 2013 in Amateur race
So today we had one of the last stages of our club league..I was already in the leaders jersey but was afraid i was going to lose it as there were some strong adults up for it..I am only gone 15 by the way!!!So we started off with about 20 adults with a handy cap of a few miuntes from the Stronger group...We managed to pull 3 other lads out of the group and made a strong burst up the road..We worled well together and as we came to the last few kilometer of the race i made an attack at the top of a hill..It didbt work but then I made another late sprint for the line from a few 100 meters out..I was in full motion and took the win with a few bike lenghts to spare!!So happy!! We had managed to keep about 1min from the stronger bunch.. Just thought of sharing this with you and hope you enjoyed reading it :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/63261546

Comments

• Well done mate, sounds like a good race!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Good work fella!
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I won a race once. I then woke up. Before doing an actual race. Which I lost.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Well done. Must be a great feeling. Keep the wins coming.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    So today we had one of the last stages of our club league..I was already in the leaders jersey but was afraid i was going to lose it as there were some strong adults up for it..I am only gone 15 by the way!!!So we started off with about 20 adults with a handy cap of a few miuntes from the Stronger group...We managed to pull 3 other lads out of the group and made a strong burst up the road..We worled well together and as we came to the last few kilometer of the race i made an attack at the top of a hill..It didbt work but then I made another late sprint for the line from a few 100 meters out..I was in full motion and took the win with a few bike lenghts to spare!!So happy!! We had managed to keep about 1min from the stronger bunch.. Just thought of sharing this with you and hope you enjoyed reading it :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/63261546

"our club league"
    "proper race"
    :?:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    sub55 wrote:

"our club league"
    "proper race"
    :?:

:shock: do you feel better now?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Well done and good luck to you!

And make sure you ignore the miserable sods who can't just keep quiet if they have nothing useful to contribute.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Well done young man :D 8) When you feel ready you'll have to get out there and challenge yourself in a non club event
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468

And make sure you ignore the miserable sod who can't just keep quiet if he has nothing useful to contribute.

FTFY :wink:
  • chrisaonabike
    vs wrote:

And make sure you ignore the miserable sod who can't just keep quiet if he has nothing useful to contribute.

FTFY :wink:
    Cheers :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    To be fair to Sub55, he was making a valid point. Not everyone is obliged to reply with warm congratulations, incidentally.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    best to not reply at all then. twat.

Well done kiddo
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • imposter2.0
    acidstrato wrote:
    best to not reply at all then. fool.

Well done kiddo

And there we have it - - the voice of reason. Awesome, or something..
  • chrisaonabike
    Imposter wrote:
    To be fair to Sub55, he was making a valid point. Not everyone is obliged to reply with warm congratulations, incidentally.
    No he wasn't. He wasn't just not congratulating, he was completely trivialising the OP's event and clearly implied that a club league race wasn't a 'proper race'.

IMO, it was a pointless, churlish, and patronising non-contribution.

The lad's 15, FFS, and whatever the event was, it was clearly long enough with enough participants for it to require plenty in the way of effort and tactics.

That's a proper race in my book - and I bet the feeling of satisfaction and triumph was plenty real. I wish the OP the best of luck and all success in the future. I hope he isn't put off participating here by the gratuitous arseyness of a tiny minority.
  • imposter2.0
    No he wasn't.

er, yes he was. Anyway, it's not worth getting excited about, so calm yourself. The lad's obviously done well, but I suspect Sub's definition of a proper race may be a bit different.
  • imposter2.0
    Well he must be a pretty big deal then.

That's the trouble with the internet - you never really know who you're talking to.
    Go ahead and post all of your best results in 'proper races' so we can all mock your achievements.

If you're asking me - I never claimed I had any (but that's not the same as saying I don't have any). It doesn't make my opinion on what constitutes a 'proper' race any less valid. Like I said though, the lad did well, but I'm just standing up for freedom of expression....which is a phrase that leaves me open to a wide range of smartarse replies... ;)
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Yes, well done. :D
    I remember when my son won his first few races :D
    Keep training and take no notice of tossers
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Well he must be a pretty big deal then.

Go ahead and post all of your best results in 'proper races' so we can all mock your achievements.

If you are refering to me ? No ive never won the junior 25 mile champs, like yourself . Congrats on that . awesome ride.
    I do however have 2 ctt championship winners medals of my own, as a senior, also competed on the road as a first cat .
    Well you asked , i dont normally go around telling the world, as no matter how good you become ,theres always somebody else just that little bit better.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly