Which do I Change?

kevindrummerboy
kevindrummerboy Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
After riding my new bike for around 100 miles I've come to the conclusion I would be far more comfortable if my bottom was closer to my hands by an inch or two.

I am just wondering which way is better:
1) Replacing my Seat post with an in-line one (moving my bottom forward)
or
2) getting a shorter stem for the handlebars (bringing my hands back)

If it helps with any advice I ride a Mekk 2G Poggio P2.0

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    shorter stem will make handling quicker so wouldn't go much over 100mm.
    In-line post is an otion but you don't want to be to far forward as the further you go the less effective are your legs around the cranks and the angles get a little off.
    Try adding some spacers under the stem as your find this makes a big difference, also check your saddle is level or with just a touch of forward slant.
    Have a play and see
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    before you move your saddle you need to check if your knees are over the pedal centres, though this is a generalisation it can show if you need to move your seat or shorten your stem.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Saddle position is non-negotiable IMO. Get your saddle set properly for setback, height and angle and adjust the handlebar reach and height around this. If you're a new rider it can take awhile to find just the right saddle position but if you've been riding awhile try to measure your old bike and setup the new one the same.
  • Cobi
    Cobi Posts: 16
    Pay for a basic bike fit, if your not comfy you are less likly to ride....Money well spent.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    After riding my new bike for around 100 miles I've come to the conclusion I would be far more comfortable if my bottom was closer to my hands by an inch or two.

I am just wondering which way is better:
    1) Replacing my Seat post with an in-line one (moving my bottom forward)
    or
    2) getting a shorter stem for the handlebars (bringing my hands back)

If it helps with any advice I ride a Mekk 2G Poggio P2.0

Thanks

Kev

Kev,
    It probably won't need as much as two inches, as small changes can make a big difference to a road bike.
    You could try, moving the saddle forward on the rails, but only slightly, maybe 5mm.

You can get a shorter stem, 10mm shorter to start with - unfortunately experimenting with stems isn't cheap.

I don't agree about not going less than 100mm, my bike came with 90mm in the first place and I now run 80mm which fits me nicely.
  • turnerjohn
    [quote=

I don't agree about not going less than 100mm, my bike came with 90mm in the first place and I now run 80mm which fits me nicely.[/quote]

head angle a fork rake make a difference...if you have a slower steering / more relaxed bike a shorter stem maybe ok...on a race bike forget it...steering will be far to quick and when your going quick thats the last thing your want !....thats why race bikes dont come with anything under 100mm !
  • Thanks guys for all the replies and advice.

I cheated a little and just took the bike to my local shop who sat me on it measured me and the bike and then shortened the stem by 20mm and now its perfect.

Thanks again!!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    out of interest, do you find the front a bit more twitchy, a bit less stable with the shorter stem?
  • Sprool wrote:
    out of interest, do you find the front a bit more twitchy, a bit less stable with the shorter stem?

I actually find it handles alot better, more direct. Feels as if i can just turn and the bike will go there. But a friend did the same to his bike and felt it did make it more of a challenge to handle especially at higher speed.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    turnerjohn wrote:
    head angle a fork rake make a difference...if you have a slower steering / more relaxed bike a shorter stem maybe ok...on a race bike forget it...steering will be far to quick and when your going quick thats the last thing your want !....thats why race bikes dont come with anything under 100mm !

Quality bikes come with the stem that fits you - irrespective of how long or short it is. Ready assembled bikes come with a stem that is in proportion to the frame size, whether or not it fits you.

In reality, it doesn't affect the steering quickness in any way that you don't get used to.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • turnerjohn
    Rolf F wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

Quality bikes come with the stem that fits you - irrespective of how long or short it is. Ready assembled bikes come with a stem that is in proportion to the frame size, whether or not it fits you.

In reality, it doesn't affect the steering quickness in any way that you don't get used to.

Putting a short stem on a bike that hasn't been designed for it is asking for trouble !!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

Putting a short stem on a bike that hasn't been designed for it is asking for trouble !!

Errrr, who says the bike hasn't been designed for it......?

And do please explain what trouble it is asking for! I can assure you, the steering is fine. Have you actually tried going from a 100mm stem to a 90mm stem? What sudden dramatic change are you expecting? Honestly, there is nothing especially twitchy about the handling of my bikes. I've done about 15000 miles on 90mm stems and I think I'd have noticed any trouble arising from them by now if there was going to be any!

To put it another way, the difference in twitchiness is far less than going from the hoods to the tops.
    Faster than a tent.......