Boardman Hybrid Bottom Bracket?

hardm2000
hardm2000 Posts: 7
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi really hoping someone can give me some good info here. I've already been misinformed twice, and i need help :roll: Can anyone tell me a suitable bottom bracket for my 2012/3 boardman team hybrid. It's hollowtech and 24mm at either end of the crank tube, halfords told me it would have to be a FSA Mega Exo BB 6000, but they don't have it in stock and can't order it so please anyone tell me a suitable option i can order!
Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Stevie_gee
    Stevie_gee Posts: 44
    The first rule of boardman is never ever take it back to halfords. Go to your lbs and tell them it needs a new bb, simple as that.

Side note: just replaced my boardman's bb and that's an 09, god knows what you've done to knacker yours in less than a year! Maybe squirting WD in and displacing the heavy grease that is supposed to be in there?
  • Philg1969
    Philg1969 Posts: 1
    Hi, new to forum but thought I'd help a fellow boardman team rider!
    I had to replace my BB after 13 months! I used a shimano 105 BB and fitted it myself. By online for £20 , better than the Megaexo at £50 ish! In fact any hollowtech 2 will fit, read the size of the BB shell.
  • hardm2000
    Ok so some more background my lbs replaced the bb, i got it back hung it in the garage and whilst looking over my brothers shoulder noticed cracks along the thread of the hollowtech crank, took it back to lbs he sai dmaybe overtightened by someone else but unlikely. After researching getting a new crankset i thought why not go back to halfords and ask them how much they can get one for, maybe cheaper? End of conversation crankset cracking is unheard of so warranty replacement! Happy days until i get it back grinding in bb and poor indexing, back it goes, couldn't look at it 3 days later i get bored go get it back and decide to fix myself after they say most probably bb gone and then i tell them its new just before i brought it in and even with the cracked crankset it didn't do that.............
    And so here i am with a bike in bits in my garage and now comes the tricky part i took current bb off and it doesn't look new to me so who's to blame?? I could swear the splines on bb were gold/yellow when it went in to halfords but was in there that long im now doubting myself...........
    So golden rule learn about your bike fix it yourself then you can ONLY blame yourself :oops:
    Hence i need a bottom bracket, oh and to add insult to injury its only done 600 - 700 miles!!
    Thanks

Ben
  • hardm2000
    Philg1969 are you talking about this one:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... acket.html
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ChrisP69
    ChrisP69 Posts: 7
    I have a Boardman MTB Comp, only had it three months and it developed a clicking noise from the bottom bracket area.
    Took it back to Halfords and they said bottom bracket needed replacing.
    Left it with them to be done (under warranty). Didn't hear anything for a week so phoned them and they said they were having trouble getting one off the supplier. After I moaned a bit, they said they would take one off a bike they had in stock.
    I am wondering if this is a common problem with Boardman bikes in general, there was a guy in front of me in Halfords with a Boardman road bike that had the same problem.
    I'm concerned that it failed after only three months, and wondering if I'll be taking it back again in a few months time.
  • Well, it would seem that I am taking it back again!!!! When I ride it for more than about five minutes, I get a quite heavy 'clunk' noise from the bottom bracket area. This only happens when I freewheel NOT when I am peddling. I have phoned Halfords and Ive got to let them have it for a couple of days. Don't suppose anyone has any idea what it could be?
  • If you're getting the heavy clunk noise when you're freewheeling and not pedalling then surely it can't be the bottom bracket as that's not turning.

Possibly not your issue, but I had a similar sounding heavy clunk on my Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp, and it was the rear wheel hub. The bearings were shot - water had gotten in and the grease had been flushed away leaving a brown gritty mess that had destroyed the bearings and the cup/cone bearing races. It wasn't pretty. Basically I'd left it that long that there was no remedy other than replacing the hub - although, unless you're confident enough to replace the hub yourself, i.e. rebuild the wheel, then this is more likely to be cheaper to just replace the wheel.

A test that this may indicate a similar issue for you is to see if you have any side-to-side play in the wheel.

I replaced my hubs with Shimano Deore Disc M525 hubs - cheap - and they happened to have the same critical dimensions as the stock hubs so I could re-use the spokes. Yours may differ though.
  • You are spot on Dee4life2005, I had a phone call from Halfords about an hour ago saying that it is the freewheel hub. He said the wheel needs replacing (under warranty) but they are not able to get exactly the same wheel, so they can put "one of our £50 wheels on" (his words). He reckons this is a better wheel than the current one. Not sure I like the idea of having odd wheels.
    I bought this bike on 31st March this year and in the four months ive had it, the front wheel has come loose even though the quick release levers where in the locked position, the chain has snapped, the bottom bracket has had to be replaced and now this latest problem with the rear hub.
    I am really loosing patients with it now.
  • Well, my MTB Comp has been back to Halfords yet again! Another bottom bracket!!! Thats two in 9 months, can anyone tell me if this is normal?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Is it the BB30 bottom bracket? If so then it isnt uncommon - seem to be alot of problems with that. I thank my lucky stars that the Hybrid uses a Gossamer Bottom Bracket, rather than the BB30 that the CX bikes get...