What hybrid?

inconvincable
inconvincable Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I am looking to buy a new bike for town use and some day trips (on road). I don't want to spend a fortune (£800max but would prefer cheaper c.£500). I would ideally like some thing around or sub 12 kg, with 8 or 11 speed hub gears.

As a comparison my partner rides a Trek FX7 and we would be riding together.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I am looking to buy a new bike for town use and some day trips (on road). I don't want to spend a fortune (£800max but would prefer cheaper c.£500). I would ideally like some thing around or sub 12 kg, with 8 or 11 speed hub gears.

As a comparison my partner rides a Trek FX7 and we would be riding together.

Why hub gears? Can you even get 11 speed hub gears? The Trek FX doesn't have hub gears for a start?

If your partner is riding a Trek FX then that's the obvious choice - £750 gets you an FX 7.5 http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... x/7_5_fx/#

However for less money for town use and on road you'd do better with one of these http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... ries/1_2/#

Don't forget in less than a month Trek will be announcing their 2014 models; so right now is not a good time to buy.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Why hub gears? Can you even get 11 speed hub gears?

Aye!

Not many off the peg bikes with that hub fitted though - Genesis Day One Alfine 11 is a princely £1750!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    TommyEss wrote:
    Why hub gears? Can you even get 11 speed hub gears?

Aye!

Not many off the peg bikes with that hub fitted though - Genesis Day One Alfine 11 is a princely £1750!

Oh nice! I suspect the OP doesn't mean hub gears but I may be wrong ;)
  • I did mean hub gears but I did not realise the 11 speed was quite that pricey