Deore LX crank vs SLX?

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at this Deore LX crankset, on offer at £49.99.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano- ... tAodblUANw

Is there much difference between this and the SLX - I've got the chance of picking up a barely-used SLX for the same price and wondering which to plump for.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

>BTM<

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SLX replaced the LX in the lineup (that is between Deore and XT) although it is pitched at LX 'plus a bit' level, also an LX is a few years old and a latest SLX will have the latest features, but for that price an LX (for the price of a Deore) is a good buy and the silver arms age much better as heelrub is far less obvious!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booktownman
    Stick with the LX you reckon?
  • The Rookie
    It's all down to money, if you can afford an SLX and don't have anything else on the bike neededing the price difference, go with SLX, if money is tight or you are looking to other upgrades you can make with the difference then take the LX with the saving!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booktownman
    The price is the same - new LX or second hand but barely used SLX....
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The price is the same - new LX or second hand but barely used SLX....

then go with the slx, as you are replacing this are you fitting a new cassette and chain at the same time ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd go for the new LX - unless you personally know the seller - barely used can mean anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    And a £15 bill in 4-6 months for a new BB!