Power difference in drops to aerobars.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited June 2013 in Road general
I am currently using a road bike with clip on aero bars for my clubs local TT. I have noticed that when i need to put the power down while doing a TT I will switch to the drops. I dont have a power meter or anything like that but i find i will feel that i am putting more power to the pedals when on the drops.

I have only been using aerobars for about 2 months now and still do most of my riding in the drops club rides etc. Could the difference in power be down to the fact I am still fairly new to cycle in the aero position and with more practice I should get more used to it or could it be a positioning issue.

I have lowered the bars and moved my seat forward to accomidate for the aero bars and generally feel that the positioning is ok. Unfortunatly I dont have picutures for you guys at the moment.

Does anyone has any advice.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Most riders will actually put out less power in a TT position. The difference is by making yourself more aerodynamic it's easier to cut through wind resistance making you feel stronger.

Achieving a proper TT fit on a road bike is nigh on impossible as the geometry makes it a compromise.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't have experience of TTing - but I believe the TT bars do as Grill says - and are there for a constant effort. If you watch the Pros they also grab their outer bars when accelerating hard...
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I am actually the other way round, I can put out more power, more comfortably, for longer, on the aerobars.........
  • slowbike
    danowat wrote:
    I am actually the other way round, I can put out more power, more comfortably, for longer, on the aerobars.........
    Ah - power over time ...
    I bet for peak power you're still better on the wider bars ...
    Can you stand on the pedals whilst on the aeros?
  • danowat
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ah - power over time ...
    I bet for peak power you're still better on the wider bars ...
    Can you stand on the pedals whilst on the aeros?

I'd say, for intervals less than a minute, yes, I am more powerfull on wider bars.

Can I stand on the pedals on the aero's?, yes and have done on a few occasions, but probably shouldn't because the times when you "need" to stand are probably those when the speed is low enough for the aerodynamic benefit of the aerobars to be of a lesser consideration, and also, it's not very stable..........
  • slowbike
    So, if you want to accelerate out of a tight bend where your normal pace has halved do you stay on the aeros or go on the wider bars, accelerate hard and then get back on the aeros asap ... ?

(btw - I don't ride TTs or have aero bars - so it's just questioning! :) )
  • danowat
    Slowbike wrote:
    So, if you want to accelerate out of a tight bend where your normal pace has halved do you stay on the aeros or go on the wider bars, accelerate hard and then get back on the aeros asap ... ?

That situation rarely happens to be honest, I rarely go more than 10% up on my target power for a given distance, anymore than that, and you risk affecting your race adversely.

The only time I come off the aerobars in a race is....

1) When I am ascending, first I'll hold the aerobars closer to the stem to open my hip angle, but still keep a reasonably aero position
    2) When I am braking
    3) When I am fuelling (taking a gel)
    4) To give my back/ass a break in a 100 mile TT or 12hr TT

The rest of the time, in a TT at least, aero is important, every time you come off the bars, you are compromised.

Alot of my training is done in the aero position, its a position I feel comfortable in, not sure I'd dare to ride my road bike in a TT, it'll probably feel very hard........
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Isn't power generated from your legs?.....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    danowat wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

That situation rarely happens to be honest, I rarely go more than 10% up on my target power for a given distance, anymore than that, and you risk affecting your race adversely.

The only time I come off the aerobars in a race is....

1) When I am ascending, first I'll hold the aerobars closer to the stem to open my hip angle, but still keep a reasonably aero position
    2) When I am braking
    3) When I am fuelling (taking a gel)
    4) To give my back/ass a break in a 100 mile TT or 12hr TT

The rest of the time, in a TT at least, aero is important, every time you come off the bars, you are compromised.

Alot of my training is done in the aero position, its a position I feel comfortable in, not sure I'd dare to ride my road bike in a TT, it'll probably feel very hard........

Church.
  • danowat
    Church?
  • danowat
    edited June 2013
    goonz wrote:
    Isn't power generated from your legs?.....

A closed hip angle, as you get when on aerobars, can reduce the amount of power you can produce, so no, it's not all in the legs.
  • Grill
  • danowat
    Learn something new everyday!
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    danowat wrote:

Pretty useless though :D unless you're having a conversation with Samuel L Jackson. I'd imagine saying the word 'church' in that context to 99% of Uk citizens would result in a WTF response.
  • goonz
    So in conclusion its less productive being in a full TT position but riding in the drops can generate more power?
  • Grill
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Pretty useless though :D unless you're having a conversation with Samuel L Jackson. I'd imagine saying the word 'church' in that context to 99% of Uk citizens would result in a WTF response.

<- Yank :P
  • danowat
    I'd say, it depends, but....

In a solo TT, aerodynamics should always be of primary concern, so much so that you can afford to compromise power output to maximize aerodynamics.

It's a compromise, but one that can be lessened with training and adaptation to the position.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    [Pretty useless though :D unless you're having a conversation with Samuel L Jackson. I'd imagine saying the word 'church' in that context to 99% of Uk citizens would result in a WTF response.

word
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Oh god..please stop 8) lol
  • goonz
    danowat wrote:

In a solo TT, aerodynamics should always be of primary concern, so much so that you can afford to compromise power output to maximize aerodynamics.

It's a compromise, but one that can be lessened with training and adaptation to the position.

So for someone very small like myself who could potentially get pretty aero on the drops, there is not any benefit from switching to a TT bike and/or bars?
  • Grill
    goonz wrote:
    danowat wrote:

So for someone very small like myself who could potentially get pretty aero on the drops, there is not any benefit from switching to a TT bike and/or bars?

Incorrect. Your CdA will pretty much always be higher on drops than on aero bars. A TT bike will allow for you to maintain a proper position on aero bars which will reduce your frontal area.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    So to sum this thread up

1) Its normal to have less power when aero to drops(more so if on an adapted Road Bike)
    2) The difference will decrease the more i practice and get used to the aero position.
    3) To go faster I should stop asking questions on BR and actually get on a bike and pedal faster. (PS. I will be loading up Sufferfest Downward Sprial tonight and will try and use aerobars for intervals).
  • goonz
    I'll pretend I know what CdA is...
  • Grill
    CdA = aerodynamic drag
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I spend a lot of time in my aero bars, I'll only go in the drops for fast bump/windy rides where I need more control. I definitely pick up speed when I go in to the aero bars. For me its the position which allows me to concentrate on cadence. Riding in my drops is a little too low for me to stay there for too long. This probably reflects the fact that I am trying to make my road bike more of a TT fit, by slamming the stem.