illness and recovery

FatManSeth
FatManSeth Posts: 32
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,
just wondering what people think about getting back on the bike after being ill?

I've been regularly riding 3 times a week - couple of short ones and then a longer one (30-40miles) at the w/e -

this last week i've been struck down with the lurgi, have not managed a ride all week, unlikely to get back on till next week - my question is - do i need to reduce my long ride and ease in? Or is a week or two off the bike not long enough to lose fitness etc?

thanks for the advice -

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Death is the only disease that stops me riding. Even if it hurts like hell on the bike it's a damn site better than sitting on the couch.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Depends on what you've been ill with!

If it's something like flu (I mean genuine influenza, not just a bad cold) it's best to rest until you are completely recovered. If you start again when you are over the worst but not fully recovered, chances are you will have a relapse. If it's a cold, the actual viral stage is usually quite short and once that is over the residual symptoms often respond quite well to a good energetic ride..

Of course for all we know your unspecified "lurgy" could be anything from dengue fever to leprosy or just the results of a heavy night in the pub... :wink:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    A week or two off the bike might gain you fitness although being ill won't help on that front. It's when you rest that your muscles rebuild and your body becomes stronger and fitter.

Standard advice is to wait about 72 hours from the time of being symptom free before getting back on the training but I know I don't have that level of patience...
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Rule #5 :twisted:

Seriously, hope you feel better soon
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Neeb has it spot on,

A couple of weeks ago I had the lurgy and rested with no exercise for 4 days, totally off the bike. I had a sportive that I was trying to get a PB on the Sunday so was desperate to be better for it.

I still didnt feel great on the morning of the ride, but gave it a bash, and smashed my time from the previous year.
    Conclusion, ride when you feel ready to ride. Next's week training will be last month's stats soon enough so dont worry about having some time off.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went down with a heavy cold 10 days ago. Probably caught it on a 4 hour night flight back from Turkey; there was a bloke waiting at the baggage carousel who sounded like he'd got hours to live.

Managed a gentle bimble at the weekend but felt I couldn't really push. Going out for a proper blast tonight which I'm hoping will really clear out all the residual snot and stuff which is really starting to annoy me.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    djm501 wrote:
    A week or two off the bike might gain you fitness although being ill won't help on that front. It's when you rest that your muscles rebuild and your body becomes stronger and fitter.

Standard advice is to wait about 72 hours from the time of being symptom free before getting back on the training but I know I don't have that level of patience...

Is this true? Ive been riding about 4/5 times a week for the past few months and I feel guilty if I don't go out for a ride, I feel like I'd lose fitness if I don't.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    In the chest - have a rest
    In the head - get out of bed
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    In the chest - have a rest
    In the head - get out of bed

This is terrible advice. Everyone knows it's:

If its above the neck, what the feck,
    If it's on the chest, have a rest

:D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    sbbefc wrote:
    djm501 wrote:

Is this true? Ive been riding about 4/5 times a week for the past few months and I feel guilty if I don't go out for a ride, I feel like I'd lose fitness if I don't.

Yes, look at just about any training plan online. Two weeks off is probably a bit much but you should ease off by about 50% or more for about one week a month.
    It does depend upon what you are trying to achieve though. If you just want to ride your bike, then ride your bike :)
  • FatManSeth
    FatManSeth Posts: 32
    Thanks for the advice - just to clarify, i have a problem with my balance, so riding the bike isn't possible until i recover. Worst still, i've just purchased my first road bike and it's now ready to collect. Problem is, i can't ride it!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, balance is something I would definitely take into account when riding a bike