Bike hire - Aubeterre-sur-Dronne

BobbyTrigger
BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
edited August 2013 in Road general
long shot but does anyone know of any decent bike hire in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne? staying near Montboyer for a couple of weeks in August, perfect opportunity to get a few rides in, only problem being is i'm not/can't take my bike, so i'd be looking at hiring one.

cheers

Comments

• The_Gate
    The_Gate Posts: 9
    Hi mate, I am going on holiday end July/early August to Orival, which is next to Chalais (about 5-8km) from Aubeterre. I am in a fortunate position to take my bike with me, but I have been googling bike shops in the area, so that I could drop in and see what they have, and in case of a disaster, somebody who could fix a bike, and to be honest, there doesn't appear to be much choice. Aubeterre and Chalais seem to be quite rural.

I speak French, so have been looking at the bike shops, and all I can find is Espaces Loisirs in Angouleme
    http://www.espace-loisir-16.com/cycles-velos-vtt.php

Are you staying in a house? Perhaps the owners can give you some local knowledge? I have set up a few routes in Garmin and it looks like it is rolling countryside with quiet roads and not too many big hills, so should be fun.
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    cheers bud - we're staying in a house near Montboyer. i could take the bike but cant be chewed with the cost and hassle. Would love to get some miles in whilst over there though, plenty of people with us to help with kids etc...

i plan on getting in touch with the owners, see if they know anything.
  • Not sure if you are there are not. My gite had a leaflet for a company called bicyclehiredirect.com who deliver bikes to your location. Roads around aubeterre are quiet and there are several marked cycle loops. Check with the tourist office for maps. I did several rides and really loved the scenery. Also, French roads are generally pothole free, maybe to do with the climate. Some local roads were in the process of being surface dressed with gravel so be careful, but generally it was really enjoyable.