SRAM Force groupset or mixed groupset ?

frazered
frazered Posts: 333
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Think I have decided on the above from merlin cycles at 650 approx less cash back.

Then I have seen I can spec a mixed groupset @ fudges cycle store with red shifters, force brakes and rival everything else. For 100 extra approx

Which one is better ?

Will prices drop with launch of red/force 22 / ultegra 11 speed ?

Going on scott cr1 sl. Wheels to be decided next - thinking soul clinchers or ultegras atm.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Go for Force and spend £100 extra on wheels and tyres.
  • Yeah, mixed gruppos is so lame
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    If you are on a budget - why not go the Ulterga or Apex route and save extra for the wheels - although with the SL frameset anywheels will still make a light build :)

Failing that - go seperates, I'm building my CR1 SL up at the moment and have gone for a rotor 3d crank which slots straight in and using my existing SRAM stuff.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Fudges mix groupset option is useful imo. It enables you to get the newer shape Red shifters but Force everything else and even omit some items eg brakes and pick them up cheaper elsewhere perhaps or use something you already have. I was close to doing this but stuck with Chorus, didn't make sense with Force 22 coming out.
    CRC have 20% off Force 22 components so you could pre-order them now " not instock at warehouse but can be ordered from suppliers" it says so I don't think delivery of Sram 22 is too far away now.
    Try and go Force 22 as 10 speed is going to be out of date pretty soon and you'll be wishing you'd waited/spent a bit more in a few months time.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Will new Red Shifters (with the Yaw front mech) actually work with the same age Force? I'm using 2011 Red with 2011 Force and they work ok, but I was under the impression that later Red Shifters didn't have any trim function built in?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like the Force chainset, so gruppo.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I just got the Force groupset deal from Merlin. Although sold as "without cables" mine were all present and correct in the shifter box. Bear in mind though some of the bits may be OEM, so the crankset and rear derailleur were not boxed. Clearly new though. When I checked the Fudges website they didn't have all the items I wanted in stock (and i couldnt wait). Shame as I got great deal from them last year on an Apex groupset for the winter bike and would like to have used them again. Interesting to hear about the 20% off the Force 22 with CRC though. Reckon 10sp is enough for me for now....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    reading about force and red 22 - none of it is backwards compatible to 10 speed. so going to be a while before many make the jump I think.

force 22 with force brakes was nearly £800 at crc with 20% discount :-o
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It's going to be a long, long time before the SRAM 10 speed stuff is obsolete if at all.

I have two bikes with mixed groupos; my main bike has Red shifters and cranks with Force everything else and works fine. My winter bike has Red cranks with Force derailleurs and shifters with Shimano calipers and also works fine. In short the mixed groupo is fine as is the Force set on its own, so save your money for some decent wheels.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Force 2013 was Red 2012 so you will be very pleased with it. The carbon cranks are a thing of beauty and redefine stiff. The Force set up is also quite a bit lighter than Ultegra.

Re the yaw function on the Red FD, this brings the cage closer to the small ring, meaning that trim isn't required.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro