Had a sit on one of these today.

Kowalski675
Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
edited June 2013 in MTB general
11664?$Hero$

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... durocarbon

Interesting rarity (apparently they're not importing them to the UK, it was a special order). Serious bike with a serious price tag (£7200 - which makes the US price of $9000 look almost cheap). Lovely looking thing, felt seriously plush and very light. Maybe I should start doing the lottery...

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope, sell the motor and buy a proper bike.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The crazy thing is, at $9000, it's more than the sum of the parts!

Frame 3500
    Xx1/x0 mix 1500
    Wheels 1200
    Forks 1200
    Other finishing kit 1000 max probably a lot less
    Total? 8400. Go figure.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Nope, sell the motor and buy a proper bike.

My car's worth less than my Carrera Kraken, lol. :lol: Fill the petrol tank to the brim and its value doubles.

Compared to the Specialized, the Nukeproof Mega TR I sat on was dirt cheap at £2699, lol...
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    A kid on a bucket of rust could go faster than me on that beauty. With age comes wisdom..... and slowness :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • benpinnick
    cyd190468 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    The crazy thing is, at $9000, it's more than the sum of the parts!

Frame 3500
    Xx1/x0 mix 1500
    Wheels 1200
    Forks 1200
    Other finishing kit 1000 max probably a lot less
    Total? 8400. Go figure.
    Works out more if you pay retail. The brakes and the cassette are rediculous expensive.

I'd allowed 1500 for those, but even at 2000 for gears & brakes its still more expensive than its parts. This is clealy a bike aimed at morons.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    benpinnick wrote:
    I'd allowed 1500 for those, but even at 2000 for gears & brakes its still more expensive than its parts. This is clealy a bike aimed at morons.

A bike for people who are really into bikes and can afford it obviously.

If you can afford it, you might as well have the best.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A lot of people mix up 'best' and 'expensive'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    swod1 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

A bike for people who are really into bikes and can afford it obviously.

If you can afford it, you might as well have the best.

In my world paying more for the same thing is dumb, no matter how much money you have.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    In the world 8 grand is small change to a some people. I know of a guy who just bought a Bentley convertible for his missus to go down to the hairdressers, 8 grand to him is probably like 8 quid to us normal wage slaves.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Most of Specialized top-end bikes (and quite a few other manufacturers) cost more than the sum of their parts. I was looking at an s-work Roubaix a couple of years back, think was nearly £6k yet the bits added up to £4.5k
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    benpinnick wrote:
    In my world paying more for the same thing is dumb, no matter how much money you have.
    Unless your time saved is more valuable than the cash saving....

I don't see Alan Sugar having tme to shop around to buy the best value bike, asking an employee to do it would probably cost more than the saving as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    It's a specialized which surely means its marketed for and ridden by morons anyway?

I have to agree it costs more than the sum of its parts but I think a lot of bikes are these days. Just pricing up a possible new build for myself and even with extra spent on carbon wheels and bling kit it'd still work out cheaper than the less well equipped stock build. For high end custom is definitely the way to go, you really can cherry pick what you prefer rather than having to shell out even more on a stock rig to get it to your liking.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    that seems ridiculously expensive, especially as it's not even a full carbon frame!

yes it's got XX1 drivetrain and a double barrell shock, but you could build up a a carbon nomad with XT throughout and a custom tuned shock for a couple of grand less and you wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference.

I also don't get why all these new hard hitting enduro bikes are coming with 34 forks with the 15m bolt through, imho they just don't feel stiff enough for serious enduro / am usage. for a minor weight penalty (c 180gr) you can get the 36's with 20mm bolt trhough which are noticebaly stiffer
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:
    Unless your time saved is more valuable than the cash saving....

I don't see Alan Sugar having tme to shop around to buy the best value bike, asking an employee to do it would probably cost more than the saving as well.

You don't get rich by throwing it away. How long would it take to say 'I want one like this only build it for me from parts mr bike shop keeper.'? To be clear, this is more than the RRP of those parts, not what you could build it for if you hunt round for good deals.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    But if you are a rich guy looking for a play thing which you probably wont use and aren't an expert on just want the BEST then walking into a shop and going I want a really effing good bike I have 10 grand left over from this weeks shopping will get you pointed in the direction of that bike as the shop looks good from their suppliers view point, makes more margin (as their is no cost associated with selling it) - sure a good shop would spec up a bike for someone in that position but you present Mr time is money with a week long wait for their bike they will go elsewhere.

I think the complete bike thing for those high ends targets a limited audience and as you say the guy who really wants a race ready enduro bike will do the full spec thing but the guy who just wants an expensive toy to boast about will buy ready built. Frame only option exists for the main audience.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.