Epic Fail!!!

2»

Comments

• scoobaru11
    scoobaru11 Posts: 30
    djm501 wrote:
    Not an epic fail. A good bloody try first time mate! Don't shorten it, don't avoid them, just keep doing them until you've conquered them and that will be an awesome achievement.

We've all started out with big hills that killed us - once you've done them you will be seeking out longer and steeper hills until you run out of nearby ones and start reading up on the 100 Toughest Cycling climbs... Hardknott Pass will be a dream...8-)

/\ What he says!
    Just keep plugging away. FWIW my advice is to make sure you keep a steady pace going and change into the right gear when needed rather than struggle in the wrong one. I have a hill I climb every ride that gets the blood pumping without fail. I can make it up on the biggest front cog but boy is it hard graft. So sensibly I change to the smaller cog on my approach to ensure a smooth transition through the gears with little loss of cadence. It does take practice to get it just right but with practice you'll be fitter, stronger and more than able to climb most hills. So dont despair just work harder. :wink:
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Not an epic fail in any way. Keep at it and you'll get a great feeling when you finally conquer them. There's a few nasty hills round my way. 6-700 feet climbing in about a mile. Each one had been gradually ticked off after beating me. Now, a couple of hills I used to fear are little more than a bit of extra effort. Big climbs are usually followed by good descents. Unfortunately, often steep, twisty and covered in loose gravel & potholes.
    Hardknott & Wrynose are just down the road. Doubt I'd manage. But even if I could, the descents would have me walking.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Well I beat the hill today. But cheated a little - as I took to it on my MTB. Didn't go down to bottom gear though so got up it in a 22-26 ratio, although that's still a little lower than my road bike can go. Still, I know I can get my mass up there on a bike now without stopping (and this was in the middle of a 17mile ride in my lunch hour). With a lighter bike and with less rolling resistance, my head now thinks I should be able to do this. So if I can just slow my pace a little at the bottom of the hill to keep something in the tank for the top, I reckon I can crack it on the road bike.

To be continued....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Well done! It's such a great feeling beating a hill that's beaten you before. Using a different bike is definitely not cheating.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Nice that's more or less exactly how I managed my first big mountain. On my 34x34 geared hybrid. As you say, once I'd gone it on that heavy bike I didn't have an issue with the 34x28 road bike. It was a psychological thing in the end.

Well done. Onwards and upwards . :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rpherts wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's OK to fail but it is pointless to walk. Walking doesn't improve your climbing - stopping, catching your breath for a few minutes and getting back on the bike does improve your climbing no matter how many times you have to repeat the process. Obviously, sometimes the gradient can be too steep to do anything but walk - but usually that sort of gradient you know you won't manage before you've got to it.

Good luck restarting with clipless pedals on a 10%+ climb!

Lol! I've had to restart on much steeper than that! On a couple of climbs I ended up heading off the road when the front end lifted off the ground and caused an abrubt change of direction so I had to stop. SPDs helps though for that - a bit hairier with road pedals.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    marylogic wrote:
    Well done! It's such a great feeling beating a hill that's beaten you before. Using a different bike is definitely not cheating.
    Amen to that!
    Personally, I find the steeper hills around Kendal harder on my MTB, although the gearing is much lower. Maybe its to do with the riding position meaning I can't use the same muscles. On the MTB I don't feel stable standing up (maybe due to the front suspension bobbing), so I end up spinning in low gears. On the road bike I can stand and use my (not inconsiderable, but getting less considerable) weight to turn the pedals in higher gears.
    Compare these 2:
    Mountain Bike (42/32/22 front, 11-32 rear) http://app.strava.com/activities/39958922#657619143
    (Old) Road Bike (52/36 front, 12-28 rear) http://app.strava.com/activities/50074423#887150224
    Neither are anything close to impressive - I do lots of hills (no choice) but I'm terrible at them! Whats impressive is the guys who can do the 9 mile, 1200ft climb from Kendal to Shap in barely more than half an hour. :shock:
  • djm501
    Can't you turn the suspension off on the mountainbike?
  • Schoie81
    I went out last night and conquered another hill i've never tried before - longer than the one mentioned above and steeper too - 16% for the first 1/2 mile, then about 8% for another mile - and I managed it (on the MTB, in bottom (22-34) gear for some of it). Pleasingly, I found it ok, but I think I would struggle on the road bike with the higher gears. Question is now, should I keep cycling up hills I know I can do, and get better at them, to increase my fitness and climbing skills before I go back to try the bigger/harder ones, or should I keep trying the harder ones and just try and get a bit further up it before having to stop each time, until that 'bit further', equals 'the top'?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    All of the above :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Schoie81
    Did it last night!! Didn't get right to the end of the 'uphill' as the steep bit is followed by a mile or so of 4-5%, but I got up the steep bit and did about half a mile of the flatter bit. I guess theres still work to do so there's no stopping at all, but I think on a cooler day, I might do it - I was soooo hot at the top last night! I was being followed by a car too, and the road isn't wide enough for them to pass, so I stopped to let him go (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it!!). Next time i'll try and make it right to the flat bit!

I think for me its about 25% a fitness issue and 75% technique. I have a real problem slowing down to a comfortable pace, i just keep wanting to pedal faster and I'm not fit enough to keep it up, but I tell myself to ease off and before I know it i'm speeding up again, so I get too tired and have to stop. I WILL get there!

I went on to do another hill a few miles down the road too - again, couldn't hack the prolonged slacker climb after the initial bit, and it is relatively short at about 1/4mile, but its a steep 1/4mile!!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    marylogic wrote:
    I remember on another ride a friend being overcome by the urge to phone his wife halfway up a big hill. I think there are many good reasons to stop :wink:
    I have never walked but I have had to stop a few times to "phone my wife"/"check the map"/"adjust something" etc. If I walk, my ignominy is plain for all to see. If I just stop, at least I can pretend that I could have kept going.

Interestingly, my best time up a local hill was on an occasion when I overtook someone at the bottom. I had been trying to hang back precisely to avoid this but the chap in front was just too slow. Having overtaken him, I felt I had no alternative but to give it my all. He probably thought I was fit, but that's only because he didn't see me panting like a steam train for the next 5 minutes.
  • Schoie81
    lotus49 wrote:
    see me panting like a steam train for the next 5 minutes.

Its funny you should use that similie - the hill I am talking about takes me up the side of a valley through which runs a disused railway line along which ran steams trains before it was closed by Dr Beeching. It crossed my mind as I tried to cycle on, that years ago, the noise I was making was probably heard many times a day by the people who lived in the houses I was passing!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    I liken my exhausted pants to the sound of an asthmatic warthog.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    So I cycled home from work tonight on a route ive never cycled before, including three hills I knew would be a challenge. I was defeated by not one, not two, but all three of them. Had to stop and walk. :( First one 0.6miles long, 250ft climb, had to walk 100m about 2/3 of the way up. 2nd 0.3miles long, 135ft of climb, had to walk 160m towards the top, and the last one, 0.6miles long, 300ft climb - nearly did that one, but had to walk 75m at the top. So my 15.25mile commute that i'd hoped to do in an hour, took me 10mins more than that at 13mph. Reality check!!

The first hill has a hair pin corner about 3/4 of the way up, after which it flattens off, and if I'd known that beforehand I might have pushed myself to the corner and then been ok... the second I had no chance and the third I was very close to beating - it just got me at the end where it just kicks up a bit again. I suppose there's always next time. Might avoid them for the time being and work on getting better on hills I know I can do for a while. Have only notched up a total of 102 miles (after tonight) on my road bike, so still a newbie.. And next time I can alter the route so I do the first one, but avoid the second two - so maybe do that until I conquer the first one, then try the others. Was a nasty headwind of 20-25mph, but can't blame that, especially not for the first as its in a tree covered valley and there wasn't a breath of wind there. I guess it will have taken a bit extra out of me on the flats though, between the hills.

Some work to do methinks...

I am obviously not using my Garmin Edge to full effect...

When I am home I upload it - look at the distance and check the weekly / monthly mileage. I am obviously doing something wrong.

I haven't not been up any hill for over 18 months. I also haven't a clue how long they are or what gradient. I just judge it by how near dying I am when I get to the top...it's often but I simply don't measure or whinge...

I reckon an Excel spreadsheet of hills, times, puffs of breath and ml of sweat would be more useful.

"Epic fail" and the new popular one, "Cringe" - this internet speak is nonsensical. If you ever met someone, like, in real life, who spoke like such a cretin you'd just punch them!

"At the end of the day" - well, now actually, "mate" - if you can't get up hills you are riding the wrong set up for you.

I detest hills but after tailoring my bike can achieve 99% of them. Sort your bike out and then update us with all the technical details - it will be non - cringe and non massive fail, oops, meant "Epic"- who has ever said anything is epic apart from Neil Armstrong?...
  • Schoie81

When I am home I upload it - look at the distance and check the weekly / monthly mileage. I am obviously doing something wrong.

I haven't not been up any hill for over 18 months. I also haven't a clue how long they are or what gradient. I just judge it by how near dying I am when I get to the top...it's often but I simply don't measure or whinge...

I reckon an Excel spreadsheet of hills, times, puffs of breath and ml of sweat would be more useful.

"Epic fail" and the new popular one, "Cringe" - this internet speak is nonsensical. If you ever met someone, like, in real life, who spoke like such a cretin you'd just punch them!

"At the end of the day" - well, now actually, "mate" - if you can't get up hills you are riding the wrong set up for you.

I detest hills but after tailoring my bike can achieve 99% of them. Sort your bike out and then update us with all the technical details - it will be non - cringe and non massive fail, oops, meant "Epic"- who has ever said anything is epic apart from Neil Armstrong?...

Crikey :shock: , did you have a bad day yesterday? Do you not feel you wasted a few minutes of your life typing all that, when maybe it'd have been better to read the thread, realise you thought it was ridiculous and just move on...?
  • Nah not really.

"wasted a few minutes of your life" - I'm not the one measuring the length of hills to the Nth degree that I can't get up and then posting on the internet about it.

I just ride up hills. And if I can't then I sensibly change my setup.

Unlike others...
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    djm501 wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    djm501 wrote:
    This is called getting to know your enemy by the way. Once you know what's ahead it becomes much easier to conquer the beast. Knowing you've only got to get around that hairpin before it flattens off enables you to put in a blast of power to get your through. Not knowing whether or not there is another 500 ft of 10-15% around that hairpin is a different beastie...

Yeah, I have driven up this road in the past, but not for a very long time, so I knew the hairpin wasn't the top of the hill, but had forgotten that the climb eases off after the corner, now that I know that I reckon I'd be able to put in the extra effort to get up this one. And the third hill I should have pushed myself to get up, I was so close to doing it. The middle one is a beast though...

My local "I'll do them one day" hills are Sheldon Dale, then Rowlsey Bar and finally Winnats Pass (in that order) - if any of you know of them! (once i've conquered these three of course! :wink: )

Winnats Pass I've heard of but not my neck of the woods. My two hills of unfinished business are a local one in Pontypridd called Penheol Ely Road (or Pontypridd gold course road) - it's about 800 ft and has 27% sections. This one I will do - I nearly did it the one time I have tried it but like you I did not know the hill and quit just before the end of the brutality :roll:
    The other is the Devil's Staircase in Ceredigion, Wales. That I'm not sure about doing - it's 80 miles to cycle there from home and there are big mountains in the way - it is also are real brute of a climb with 25% sections for long periods. I didn't even get to the first hairpin on that. But try it again I shall...

Some of my audaxing buddies recently completely an insane 600 km ride called the Pendle 600 which, after 500 km(!) required them to ascend both Wrynose Pass and Hardknott pass in quick succession. Ouch ouchy ouch. I shall pass on that sort of thing myself for some time I think.

I haven't tried the road to the golf club in ponty yet! It's on the list, as is the Graig from station to the Queens head and Graigwen Road to Llanwonno (I live on Graigwen road) I'm a heavy bloke (20st) but getting faster every week! There are places where I'd walk or be in small ring and large sprocket that I can smash now! Grit you teeth an percevere!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695

Bloody hell!

This is a beginners discussion forum. Was there any need for that?
  • djm501
    chuckla wrote:

I haven't tried the road to the golf club in ponty yet! It's on the list, as is the Graig from station to the Queens head and Graigwen Road to Llanwonno (I live on Graigwen road) I'm a heavy bloke (20st) but getting faster every week! There are places where I'd walk or be in small ring and large sprocket that I can smash now! Grit you teeth an percevere!

Well good luck with them :) I've tried the golf course road twice now and failed twice :roll: Bit of an excuse the second time in that I had a transit van up my arse just as it hit the steep bit so not feeling so hot at the time I stopped and let him pass - too steep to get back on. Not much of an excuse though - I was flagging anyway.
    The Graig isn't too bad to be honest although it is a bit of a hairy one with the parked cars and traffic - good fun on the way down though. You can get to the Queen's Head by a different laney route if you got up Sardis road and keep straight on at the roundabout where it goes onto Factory road (the road is called Gellwillion road but I don't know if it's signposted). Much less traffic that way and a lot of steep climbing but it is also a poor surface at times.
    I've not tried Graigwen road myself- will have to give it a go 8)
  • Schoie81
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Bloody hell!

This is a beginners discussion forum. Was there any need for that?

Don't worry Chris - i'm new to road bikes and the bike radar forum, but not new to online forums generally - i've learnt sometimes people have a bad day and vent it to strangers online, and that some people just go on forums to wind up other and/or insult them. Lots of helpful responses to my original post so the odd dramatic rant doesn't worry me! :) My use of 'epic fail' was just because I had to put something in as the topic and it was more concise and hopefully more interesting than "tried to cycle up three hills tonight and couldn't do it". I just felt a bit deflated having been beaten by not one, but three local hills in one ride when i've never had to stop before, and I was looking for a 'don't worry, it happens to us all' pat on the back from others!! That a hopefully a bit of advice on what I could do to improve next time...
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    glad you got the advice you needed. I tend to reside more in the mtb forum and whilst there's some robust characters there a complete slagging for an innocent post on the beginners section is not something I'd expect to see. I'd heard roadies could be a bit odd, but....
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    The problem with internet forums is that there is no way of telling if the post has been made after a night out on the beers. Unless their post is at some crazy time like 12.02am.......... :wink:
  • Schoie81
    marylogic wrote:
    The problem with internet forums is that there is no way of telling if the post has been made after a night out on the beers. Unless their post is at some crazy time like 12.02am.......... :wink:

Tee hee. :)

I got up it tonight!! Top to bottom, no stopping. Wanted to stop about 150m from the top of the steepest bit, but pushed on and did it all. Slightly cooler weather helped a bit I think. Strava reckons its 1.6miles long and climbs 450ft - I did it in 9m33sec. Pleased with that, now I just need to work on the other two!!
  • djm501
    marylogic wrote:

My spelling gets even more atrocious than normal... ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    marylogic wrote:

Or there is a receptionist involved...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Schoie81
    Returning to a thread I started a while ago...

I now know I can do this hill that beat me back in July, I do it without stopping now. So i've moved on. In the last two or three weeks I've also completed a couple of bigger, steeper hills too. So my question now is, how do I get better at climbing? Do I keep doing these hills that I've now managed to do until I can do them easier/faster? Or, now I've managed these, should I seek out steeper and/or longer climbs? I'm not a fan of climbing, I'm not that good at it, it hurts and I have to fight hard not to give up, but for some reason I feel driven to keep at it and get better! Just wondered what the best way to improve is?
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Excellent! I don't think anyone ever finds hills 'easy' but as you get fitter they will hurt less.

I would search out new hills for variety and a sense of achievement, and you'll inevitably seek out steeper hills and get fitter as you ride them. But I'd also go back to your 'favorite' from time to time just to remind youself that you can conqueror hills! Use strava to time yourself and each time try to get up there a little faster! Some people hate strava but it can be quite a motivational tool.

I love hills and for some masochistic reason hill reps. The upside about doing a hill time and time again is that you also get to know the surface, where you can get traction, or build momentum and be able to pace the hill better. I'd also
    use the same hill to work on technique and give yourself different workouts. Try sitting all the way up, stand all the way up, mix both, along with different 'efforts' each time etc.

Hills needn't be daunting, they can be fun!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done on getting up the hills.Now keep doing them and also find some bigger ones and try them.Try the hills with longer rides to get there so you have less energy etc.If the hills are local enough then it seems daft not to use them.For inspiration,just use strava and try to improve.
    Good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Schoie81
    Thanks guys - one of the other hills i've conquered since then is 1.6miles long with an average gradient of 7% although the first 0.6miles is almost 12%. I was so pleased when I did that - it pushed me to my limit and I found it really really tough. That hill is less than 2miles from the office though, so theoretically I could tackle that every day on my lunch break (but I probably wont bother!!). The other is much shorter at around 0.4miles, but is steeper at close on to 16% - I can't say I wasn't glad to get to the brow of that one either!!

I do already use Strava, but to be honest, for me at the moment, hills have been a case of getting to the stop without having to have a rest, rather than how quick I can do them! Will keep plugging away at the local toughies then and throw in a new, harder one every now and again.

There is another not too far from work which Strava says is similar to the first one I mentioned above - but having driven them both in a car quite often, it certainly seems a lot steeper!! I guess that will have to be my next port of call. I have cycled down that one before, and didn't enjoy that too much!!

I prefer long gentle hills, I'm pretty happy doing 4-5% for 4miles, but get up above 10% for even 1/4 mile and it has me struggling. I live in the High Peak though and work in the Peak District, so I don't really have a choice but to get better!!