bike replacement. kona cinder cone 2013

georgemarshall
georgemarshall Posts: 48
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi just joined up iv recently had my specialized rockhopper 2012 stolen last week really gutted so covered by the insurance which will be getting replaced amount of £600 now iv been looking at this years model but also the voodoo bizango can some one help me choose please which one or if any more with a budget of £600

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Breathe man...breathe!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sorry deeeeeeep breath
  • well i know now why they vanished i had caps lock on rnt i a nawti boy

looking for some advice on the above 2 products i have a 600 budget any advice welcome
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I'd avoide the Spec Rockhopper very poor value for money.

The Bizango is good value, but difficult to get hold of at the moment.

You'll get better bang for your buck with 26" wheel bikes, particularly at your budget - look at Boardman Comp and Decathlon Rockrider 8.1.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your punctuation buttons all seemed to have gone on strike......

At that price point you'll get a better deal with a 26er, I'd go with the RR 8.1 although the Boardman's are good bikes the lowest end ones are poor by comparison.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • been round to my local halfords there is a few going on the system beginning of july and then a bulk load at the end of july now do i stick it out and wait or choose something else??? :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    The Boardman Comp is a very good bike for the money, I used to have one before I went full suss, great bike. Have a look round for discounts online (or even try and negotiate instore), I managed to get 10% off when I got mine. Good value at £650 but at £585 it wasa steal!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • hi well after my specialized rockhopper 2012 being robbed last week iv heard from the insurance and they will replace it it only and not give me a cheque. the bike its being replaced with is a kona cinder cone 2013 which i £300 more then what i paid for the rockhopper can anyone give me any information on this is it a good bike looking at the price i would of thought so thanks for your help.
  • yes that's a really nice bike. with plenty of soul. it's kona's longest lasting pedigree of (26) inch mountain bikes and carries most of its most recent innovations (except maybe 29 in wheels). the scandium lifetime warranty frame is great. spec is simple but effective even though with most kona bikes there is always some need for upgrading, which will mostly concern front derailleurs and perhaps (in the future) brakes. But one thing you can't take away is their extremely lively handling and enthousiast enthralling fun.

good luck with your purchase
  • thanks for your help. would you say that its better then the rockhopper i had??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you paying £900 for it? As you aren't getting much for that. Is all basic kit found on many 3-500 pound bikes.
  • no its through the home insurance i had a rockhopper 2012 robbed and the kona is what they will replace the specialized with
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not much choice then lol. Nice frame, but parts let it down for what it should cost. Probably abetter bet than the Hopper though.
  • as long as its better then thats fine. what brakes and front deraillers would you recommend?
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Wouldn't personally change the front derailleur - they'd fairly crude items and (in my opinion) all work pretty similarly unless you spend a lot of money. Better off saving money to spend elsewhere.

Kona's typically have pretty poor spec, but you can usually pic them up a big discount to RRP (shame you can't). First thing I would change is the tyres. Also the own branded stuff on the Konas I have owned previously is pretty heavy, so could look to save some weight there on future upgrades.
  • hi iv got a list of bikes to choose from through wheelies as an insurance claim list is

kona cinder cone 2013
    gt karakoram 1.0 2013
    merida matts trail 500
    raleigh mtrax ht 20 2010
    felt nine 50 2013
    lappierre raid 729 29er
    cannondale trail sl2 2013
    gt zasker 9r sport 2013

or do i get 625 quid off them instead and go and get a voodoo bizango from halfords