Decisions Decisions

d.mart
d.mart Posts: 88
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
It's an N+1 based question as having just received the C2W voucher I'm still in a quandary over how to use it. It's a toss up between the Planet-X RT57 and a Harry Perry cycles custom build. The PX is easy enough to check out online but the Harry Perry less so as it's small shop in Woolwich with no online presence. They back am eponymous national level racing team (I think - but I'm not even in the same galaxy let alone ball park) so obviously know their shizzle.
The specs are quite different in that the PX is full carbon with Rival and a mix of PX and FSA finishing gear. The Harry Perry is an alu frame with 105 and within reason whatever I want otherwise (I think). Plus, it's a bare alu frame that they will finish however I want which seems pretty cool.
The bike would actually be for commuting primarily with the odd w/e thrown in for now but am currently organising a London to Amsterdam charity ride at work and I def want to join a club at some point after that.
My main issue is that currently I'm riding (or will be once repairs and insurance get sorted - thanks white van man :evil: ) a steel frame ss I built up from an old Raleigh frame I found in my old man's garage. As such my fettling skills are limited as is the time available (2 mini marts and possibly #3 on the way) so the prospect of full carbon whilst very attractive is more than a little intimidating whereas alu seems a little more forgiving.
Decisions decisions...