Cheshire Cat July 7th

dun247
dun247 Posts: 31
Hi all,

Anyone still doing this? Only a week and a few days to go.

D

Comments

• Yep, I signed up for the 62 mile middle course way back in February.

Just had an email from Kilo to Go about new routes and I see that the middle course has been extended to 76miles and the climbing has gone up from less than 400m to well over 800m.

The course now includes Gun Hill just outside of Meerbrook which is no. 132 in the "Greatest Cycling Climbs" and there's also Barlow Hill which tops out at 350m.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Yes the 100 miler, weather looks warm better than in march.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    wasn't going to, but now they gone back to a route very much like last year's I think I will do. Forecast looks great and I have to drop someone at MCR airport for 5am so will be up and in the area anyway.
  • dun247
    My first on the cheshire cat and a first on cycling in the north west. Im on the 100miler, how much difference was the previous route to this new one.
  • The old March 100mile route had basically one big hill - Mow Cop - and a total of 650m of climbing (I'm running the GPX routes through http://bikeroutetoaster.com).

The new route has 4 significant climbs within a 45km stretch in the first half and makes for over 1,000m total climbing - profiles on the blog.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    According to Kilo to Go the new 100 mile route has 1936m of acent?

http://www.kilotogo.com/media/distance_ ... 54e63c.pdf
  • Mmm, looks a bit of an over-estimation.

Their profile shows four significant hills, all with less than 200m of climbing and two of them well under 150m. All together around 650m of ascent for them. There are various lumps and bumps as well which contribute a bit more.

The rest of the route looks pretty unchallenging - just rolling along on the Cheshire plain.
  • Someone I work with is doing the 62 but it's been extended to 70+ and the 30 has been extended to 40. I was going to do it (when it moved) but it clashes with my Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool one.
  • supergrass
    supergrass Posts: 123
    The new 70 + route is basically the same as last years by the look of it.. get past the fist 40 miles and its all pretty flat
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I am signed up to the 100mi with a 7:30am start time. I'm just hoping my legs will last the 100mi, as i did 75 hilly miles yesterday around llandegla/llangollen and my quads are hurting today!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Where is this? I am coming to preston to work for few weeks and need spome rides, may tag along for a part of the ride as weather looks good :-)
  • Well, its beautiful out there today - plenty of cyclists on the roads near Congleton enjoying the sunshine (when they should be working?).

I've recce'd the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hills on the new Cat course and will have all the gradients, Strava sections and photos on the blog soon.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    Bloody hot day today, on a more positive note mowcop was conquered!! :)
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Enjoyed it, rode with a couple of mates, didn't seem that busy. Minute and a half faster up Mow cop than last year, and faster up all the other climbs, something's working.

Couldn't believe people in full length tights and tops! Maybe to protect from sun? Couldn't be arsed queuing for the goodie bag at the end. Thought that was handled poorly, last thing after 105 miles you want is to be standing around for ages.
  • Fantastic weather, well organised event. I really liked the finish - police stopping traffic, the finishline commentator, the banners and arches - really making something of what you've just achieved.

Getting a confirmation print out of your timing also great.

Route is good too. You know the big challenge is the first hill (Mow Cop) so once you've topped that (brutal) you know you can do the rest.

Lots of locals cheering us on and car drivers being patient (not always the case in some areas/on some events).
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Mikey1976 wrote:
    Bloody hot day today, on a more positive note mowcop was conquered!! :)

Agree on that one, failed Mow Cop last year
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I was pretty happy, managed the level crossing to the top of the main climb (at the left hand turn at the top of the steep part) in 7min 30s.

Stayed there for 5 mins for everyone to catch me up!

Great event, well organised, and it looks like i've now got a liking of soreen!
  • dun247
    WOW!!! What a great ride. Sun made it ridiculous tough but still made it up Mow cop, Gun hill and Wincle. Unfortunate that I was not quick enough to make the 1400 cut off at 66miles. Still 77 miles was good enough and got up the big 3. Photos are up but have not seen the personalised videos yet. Im not sure i want to see myself gurning up Mow Cop. lol. I do agree the queue for race timing was silly long but understandable and the queue for goody bag was not that bad(at least for me) plus I really wanted my Mow Cop medal.