SPD's Vs Toe-clips

joecamel
joecamel Posts: 81
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
After having ridden flats for years on my MTB, I've just started using SPD's on my first road bike for commuting and I'm finding it a bit tricky getting into them quickly at junctions where I can't afford to hang around. My commute is city.

I want opinions on this: will I get used to getting clipped in super quick or should I switch to toe clips/straps? Has anyone else gone through this?

All opinions welcome, cheers.

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Both can be good, but SPDs are a bit easier once accustomed to. No tightening and loosening, for example. I like both systems.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Toe straps would be a lot worse for getting in an out of them. What problem are you having with SPD? Are you making sure you leave one foot clipped in at all times? As it's really no slower - in fact in most cases faster, to take off with SPD's than with flats.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You'll get used to it pretty quickly.
  • joecamel
    I'm always leaving one foot clipped in. I'm having trouble getting the other foot clipped in quickly when I've only got a few seconds get out of a side road to turn right across traffic on busy roads.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You don't have to clip in to pedal - and you don't have to stop the rotation to clip in either.... just practice a bit more.
  • joecamel
    OK, cheers
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Toe clips can work quickly and reliably if you keep the *leather* straps loose and use shoes with the correct amount of grippiness. It takes a while to train your foot flip then slide forward and to remove backwards. Once you have this, you will never suffer a "toe clip moment" like a "clipless moment" .
    I have removed my foot from toeclips during unexepcted slides and I can always get my feet on the ground. I can get into my pedals and ride up steep hills with no problems. If you miss the entry into clips, you simply pedal on the platform side until it is safe to flip.
    Never use toe clips in racing mode, ie cinched tight and/or with cleats or shoes with slots in the sole. This is not safe compared to modern clipless systems.
  • -=mike=-
    -=mike=- Posts: 31
    SPD are way better than toe-clips, maybe loosen off the adjustment so a slight twist releases them.
    Always struggled with toe clips, especially away from lights - awful things
  • simon_masterson
    Clips and straps are too easily dismissed by today's cyclists who get rubbish ones with their bike and stick them out for two weeks, before swapping for clipless as they were planning to do anyway. Good quality steel clips with leather straps are very easy to flip. If anything in a couple of respects they are a little easier than [most] clipless pedals, as entry requires no pressure, and you get a fully functional platform. You may as well dismiss all single-sided clipless pedals if clips and straps present a problem for you.
    MichaelW wrote:
    Never use toe clips in racing mode, ie cinched tight and/or with cleats or shoes with slots in the sole. This is not safe compared to modern clipless systems.

If you have the right shoes, and clips and straps of the right size, you should have no problems at all. I have had much closer near-misses with clipless pedals than tightened straps, and never have I failed to pull my foot out of a strap. I'm happy to caution people against using old-school cleats with them, but there's nothing wrong with tightened straps. I miss the feeling with my SPDs sometimes...
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I have clipless on my road bike and toe clips on my hybrid. I definitely find the toeclips easier to get out of and use that bike in "absolutely mustn't fall off" situations (carrying my daughter in her child seat; after I broke my arm)

I also sometimes find it difficult to clip in at times and do the "pedaling with one leg through a junction" fairly regularly. It doesn't bother me too much but I believe you can get pedals and cleats which you can use clipped or unclipped if it's a major issue.
  • simon_masterson
    marylogic wrote:
    but I believe you can get pedals and cleats which you can use clipped or unclipped if it's a major issue.

I use the M545 model, which is both double-sided and usable as a platform (with regular shoes, if desired). Built nuclear holocaust-proof and a little incongruous on a road bike, but superb for practicality. I'd recommend them to any commuter...

m545freeride.JPG
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Yes! these were the things I meant :)
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    I've just switched from toe clips to SPDs and don't regret the move for a moment. I've done about 150 miles on the SPDs so far. Your feet are held (don't like the term 'locked') and it removes one thing to think about when you're cycling. My records suggest that I'm cycling a bit faster on average since I switched.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    joecamel wrote:
    I'm always leaving one foot clipped in. I'm having trouble getting the other foot clipped in quickly when I've only got a few seconds get out of a side road to turn right across traffic on busy roads.

You can still do most of your pedalling without being clipped in, just start pedalling with your other foot, without trying to clip in, chances are you'll end up clipped in.
  • scoobaru11
    scoobaru11 Posts: 30
    joecamel wrote:
    After having ridden flats for years on my MTB, I've just started using SPD's on my first road bike for commuting and I'm finding it a bit tricky getting into them quickly at junctions where I can't afford to hang around. My commute is city.

I want opinions on this: will I get used to getting clipped in super quick or should I switch to toe clips/straps? Has anyone else gone through this?

All opinions welcome, cheers.

I recently made the same conversion from flats to SPDs. The gain in speed and control is very noticable. I always leave one foot clipped in but considering I've only been using flats for the last few months I've not fell over yet (touch wood). One thing I have done is to adjust the clips to the softest setting to allow me to break out easily if needed. I've fitted both my bikes with SPDs and for the MTB I fitted M424s. They have a cage for using ordinary trainers for short rides to the shops etc. For me this has been well worth the expense.

I wouldnt even consider Toe Clips. Too dangerous for me lol :roll:
  • simon_masterson
    scoobaru11 wrote:
    Too dangerous for me lol :roll:

Not sure what you're doing using SPDs, then. ;)
  • wallinr
    wallinr Posts: 3
    I have recently started to ride my hybrid (scott sportster) on the road more and have completed a couple duathlon races. I am not sure how much advantage SPDs give over flats. I understand you can gain more power climbing uphill. BUt do they really make a difference on regular commutes? I use the flats as spend significant amount of time carrying child on the back so not willing to risk falling. Just curious about peoples' real life experiences...
  • simon_masterson
    wallinr wrote:
    I understand you can gain more power climbing uphill.

There is no pedal system that can increase the amount of power going into it, however much you may read about "improved power transfer and efficiency" or other cobblers about road pedals.

You can pull up with clipless pedals or clips and straps (preferably tightened, though loose ones will also work to a degree) if you are climbing out of the saddle, but some would say you shouldn't do it at all. The simple benefit of such a system is that it keeps the foot in place, which frees you to concentrate on spinning the cranks.

They do work very well. Once you're used to them, getting in and out of them won't present any problems for you, but you can get double-sided SPDs with plain platforms.