Tour de France & French cycling virgin!

tricket
tricket Posts: 123
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hello All,

I am shortly to be visiting the south of France on holiday and as luck would have it, it coincides with the the Tour!

We will be staying in Tourrettes-sur-loup, just inland from Nice and I'm planning to hire a bike (road bike) locally and whizz down to see the TT in Nice on Tuesday 2nd (as well as watching the following days stage as it passes through Grasse).

Trouble is I've never ridden in France, so does anybody have any tips on the area or more importantly which roads can and can not be ridden on? Is anybody on here planning to do something similar?

Seems like the only way to cross over the river to get to the TT route is via the A8/E80, but this looks like a busy, non-cycling highway....

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Karl

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Don't know the specifics but France is one of the most cycle friendly countries on the planet. What I do know is that you can't cycle on the autoroutes and the gendarmerie all carry big scary guns
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Have you booked in advance? I would imagine cycle hire when the tour is in town would be pretty difficult to find.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Have you booked in advance? I would imagine cycle hire when the tour is in town would be pretty difficult to find.

^ this.
    Definitely worth a call/email to confirm availability.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"