First puncture - 2 snake bites

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Had my first puncture yesterday. Swapped the tube out fine.
On returning home I found it was a snake bite / pinch flat so I repaired it.
On inflation I found I had another snake bite 4-5 inches away from the first. Is it common to have 2 at once? I guess it may be as the 2nd may have been caused by riding on a few yards before realising the first.

My other question is... do most of you repair tubes on return home and re-use them?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    CleeRider wrote:
    My other question is... do most of you repair tubes on return home and re-use them?
    Unless it is really bad then yes ... although I do save them up and do a few at a time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like you hit a big pothole - that would explain the 2 holes. I'd probably bin that tube TBH.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I find snake bite punctures easy to patch on MTB tubes but rather tricky with skinny road tubes.

I still use some tubes with several patches though. Honorary Yorkshireman :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth checking your tyre pressure. Some potholes have sharp edges which always tend to result in pinchflats but they are few and far between (and best avoided :wink: ). I always carry two tubes because if you hit a pothole at speed it is likely that both wheels will take the hit.

Not sure what weight you are but it might be worth going up 10 psi and see how you get on, also I would recommend checking pressure before every ride if you don't already. I also adjust pressure based on the ride (I go 5-10 psi up on the front for a very hilly ride to account for the redistrbuted weight).

As stated by Keef66, pinchflats can be a beggar to fix on narrow tubes and I have binned them before despite always fixing other punctures...but I haven't had a pinchflat for flipping ages now (so there's the kiss of death).
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Slowbike wrote:
    CleeRider wrote:
    Unless it is really bad then yes ... although I do save them up and do a few at a time.
    Some do, some don't. There's a whole thread somewhere, half the posts saying what's the point they're on a couple of quid each, the other half saying that's the point they're a couple of quid each.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,135
    rema tiptop patch+glue, c. 30p per puncture, less than 20p if you get a big pack

new tube 2 quid

i have tubes with *lots* of patches
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CleeRider
    CleeRider Posts: 304
    These 2 snake bites were actually very easy to fix with a single Park Tool special patch for each, ie only 2 patches used.
    Each hole in a 'bite' were only 7-10mm apart.
    Could this perhaps point to a different cause, and not a pinch flat? I don't remember hitting a big pot hole, just that the road was very gritty on the sides. Perhaps I went over something with spikes showing. But then I don't see 2 pairs of small holes in the tyre.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Its easy to tell whether its a pinch / snakebite:

For a pinch flat the holes will be on the hub side of the centre line of the tube as it casued by the rim nipping the tube, an "intrusion" flat (for want of a better word) will be on the outside of the centre line of tube.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem