How to Make my Cube more fitting

stuartfung
stuartfung Posts: 90
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Hi folks, I have just bought a Cube Acid 2013 26 wheel in a small and I feel a little on the cramped side and have a more upright feel. Is there small adjustments I can make to it that I would benefit from? I am 5'7, and I think I have the seat post height correctly adjusted. Is there a benefit in fitting a longer stem or move the saddle back a little?
Cheers all.
Dialled Alpine MK2, Ragley Blue Pig, Giant TCR Carbon Road

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try it and see. Saddle is an easy experiment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or take it back and swap it for a larger size.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At 5'7" logic would suggest you should be on a small really....options
    1/ Slide saddle back on post (to limit on marks!)
    2/ layback post (if yours is an inline).
    3/ Longer stem
    4/ Wider bars

Or a combo of the above!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stuartfung
    Thanks for the replies, yes a small is the right height size. I will try and adjust the seat back a little but I did some research and did find the Thomson's Laybak seat post and their oversized stem both around the 70 quid mark. Worth a punt but will try after I simply move the seat back.
    If this does not do the trick, wonder if people have tried a combination of the mentioned above (i.e. using either/both the layback seat post and/or oversized stem, wider bars etc)??
  • cooldad
    Height does not always equate to reach. You might have the build of a gorilla - short legs and long arms.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stuartfung
    I'm 5'7 and my inside leg is about 29" so not too short probably about average hence the reason I chose the small size as the medium left me no clearance whatsoever on this geometry. Anyway, changing to a longer stem (if the seat back doesn't resolve issue) and using the layback seat post alter the dynamics for the rider in any way other than a comfortable fit with the bike? Just trying to picture what it would be like either having a longer stem or having the layback post rather than buying both.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't bother wasting money on Thomson, lighter and cheaper can be had.
  • stuartfung
    Tried the seat adjustment, not much difference. Begs the question whether a longer 'reach' to the bars has more or less better control of the bike, say, when cornering? Did try a medium in a shop, a different brand, and felt more controlled.
  • stuartfung
    Looks like a longer stem may resolve the issue but need to measure what I have at the moment, I think it's the Easton EA30 not sure if it's the 80 or 90mm and have been told to extend by a max of 20mm which would make the stem to buy a 110mm. Any suggestions which brand to source?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstar.....that or get a cheap used one to try first and then buy a new one and sell the used one on so you'll be out less than a fiver!

I do have a Bikehut 100mm going spare, brand new, same as the Superstar/On-one and others using the same generic part if you are interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.