What to do a Degla?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited July 2013 in Routes
Hi,

I have recently mentioned we're off to NW this weekend. Riding CYB on Saturday, got that all sorted. Then Degla on Sunday before going to watch the BDS.

Wondering what is the best to do at Degla? Black or red? Is the black basically the red with some better bits? Is it signposted well as it looks like it backs on to itself a few times from the map. And it looks like B Line is an option from the main trail. I don't want to miss out B line!

Cheers

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I haven't done it since they've but in b line. but yes, the black trail is just the red with some 'black' bits put in. iirc I thin it's abouit 5km longer. it's all really well signposted, except the very end where each time I've taken a different way lol.

I say 'black' because the sections are no tougher than anything at afan or cc's red trails
  • concorde
    welshkev wrote:
    I haven't done it since they've but in b line. but yes, the black trail is just the red with some 'black' bits put in. iirc I thin it's abouit 5km longer. it's all really well signposted, except the very end where each time I've taken a different way lol.

I say 'black' because the sections are no tougher than anything at afan or cc's red trails

Great, cheers. It looks like B line goes left instead of straight down the original trail and then comes back out on parts of the trail that have already been ridden (Twins, Triplets) then the route back to car park looks like you can take either red or blue down, that's probably where you have taken different routes :D
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Concorde wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    I then the route back to car park looks like you can take either red or blue down, that's probably where you have taken different routes :D

I've ridden it about 8 times and have always taken (well feels like it) a different route, one of them was straight down the rd and I was thinking "this doesn't feel right" :lol:

I used to work near there once a month for nearly a year so got quite used to it :D they have a nice little jup section in the middle you can do as well as a bit at th eend/start :D
  • concorde
    welshkev wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    I then the route back to car park looks like you can take either red or blue down, that's probably where you have taken different routes :D

I've ridden it about 8 times and have always taken (well feels like it) a different route, one of them was straight down the rd and I was thinking "this doesn't feel right" :lol:

I used to work near there once a month for nearly a year so got quite used to it :D they have a nice little jup section in the middle you can do as well as a bit at th eend/start :D

Ah right. Well I hope we don't miss anything good or I'll be going back up!! Sure we'll find most of the best bits. And then have a blast on the freeride & pump track at the end.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I did Red (no Black bits) and Blue on Tuesday. Red is 4.5km shorter than normal due to closures. Blue is a really nice quick descent. Signing is all good. B Line is fun, but I had an OTB last time I rode it!
  • concorde
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I did Red (no Black bits) and Blue on Tuesday. Red is 4.5km shorter than normal due to closures. Blue is a really nice quick descent. Signing is all good. B Line is fun, but I had an OTB last time I rode it!

Think we'll go with the black, may ride the blue back to the start after doing the majority of the black. It looks like the blue passes closer to the skills bit for a play at the end.

:-)
  • mcnultycop
    The last quarter or so of the red is the bit I don't like; the effort to reward ratio is all wrong. I might start doing first half of red then back on blue myself, now I know the place a bit better. Two laps of that should do the trick.
  • concorde
    Well we did the red with the black bits. Was a nightmare for me. Snapped a mech hanger on the initial climb, which snapped the cable also. Had a replacement hanger but couldn't thread the frayed cable through the housing! Single speed was bearable until it started changing to a bigger cog on the cassette making the chain too tight and very very difficult to turn! Wish i'd turned back instead of carried on now! Awesome trail though, will be going back. MBR at Coed-y-Brenin was brilliant too! And the BDS at Llangollen to finish was a good watch. Really good weeked.
  • mcnultycop
    I took the option where the red splits back to the blue last night, I won't bother with it again, I'll just do the second bit of the red. It was just a bit boring, a narrow section getting whipped by grasses and shrubs, then a wider dull bit. Whilst it missed out bits of the red I don't like (the hairpins section and afterwards) it also misses out the boardwalk in the forest, which I do like.
  • concorde
    I preferred CyB to Degla I must admit.
  • mcnultycop
    I've never been to CyB, but Llandegla has the massive advantage that it is 10 minutes from where I am working 2 days a week this summer!