Replacement for FOX F Series 120

Chrisa1967
Chrisa1967 Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
'Morning all. I need help!

I have a Trek Fuel EX8 with a knackered FOX F-Series 120mm fork on it. There is a big patch of wear on one stanchion. I am tearing my hair out trying to work out what to do for the best. A new CSU, bushing and service is going to cost a packet so maybe replacement is best?

My riding is local, muddy woodland trails or trail centres like Swinley, Gisburn, Brechfa etc.

I don't feel the need for more travel and I don't want to change the geometry because it all seems to work well for me.

The Fox stanchion wear has put me off their forks a bit but I am baffled by the Rockshox range and struggling to spot which would be a good replacement.

I have considered a Fox Talas with 120 - 150mm but wonder if the geometry would go west in 150mm mode?

Confused.... very confused.....! :?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments

• welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    If you are looking for a replacement I would be looking at the Rockshox Reba or Sid (in any variation) I have the 100mm Sid RLT which is an excellent fork. No doubt SS can explain to you the difference between RL, RLT etc! When I got them I just couldnt see the point in paying out more for Fox forks, but no doubt as with everything you will get people who love Fox and those that love Rockshox!

How much will it cost you to get yours back to their best?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I know little to nothing about Fox forks but if you're after replacement I'd also be inclined to point you to a Reba.

I've gotta 2012 dual air RL on my Rockhopper and it's a very good fork and can be got for £250-£300
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks so much guys. It looks like £350+ to get my Fox back to life which is pretty crazy.

Quite like the look of the SID and I could flog the Fox for 'spares or repair' to recoup some cash.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Merlin had Rockshox Reba's for £260 recently, very nice fork.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Thats a crazy figure to get it fixed! As RockmonkeySC said you can get brand new Reba's for less. (I also paid under £300 for my Sids from Merlin. They are nice and light and have never had any problems with them.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    A set of kashima stanchions and a full service is around £270 from Mojo suspension and their service is excellent. While still slightly more than a new base model Reba, the fox will perform better IMO, the kashima and new low-friction seals they fit as standard during servicing are top notch and noticeably improve the performance, buttery smooth. I also find the fox's easier to setup and seeing as you already have them you'll be used to the them and have a decent idea of setup. I'm a fox fan, no doubt about it, but I've found they've always performed much better than Rockshox forks.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Is it leaking oil and losing air. If it isnt keep on riding it till it does Fox are well known for losing the anodising yet still keep going. If it is as a temporary measure you could put some new seals in they wont last long but will get you through the summer before they go and they only cost about £25 and are easy to fit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the F120 before and now have Rebas. The Rebas are much nicer, even my base model rebas are nicer than the mid range f120 I had. Kashima makes bugger all difference, a few people I know had it done and said it was a complete waste of money.
  • Thanks for all the replies chaps.

I have put new seals in and replaced the oil and as Stubs says for now they are just getting used with no noticeable problems. I came up with the £350 figure from my own maths on the Mojo price list so maybe I have over-estimated it. I think I made the assumption that the bushings would need replacing too and Mojo want quite a lot 'per pair'.

I am going to have to bite the bullet and send them off at some point to get a proper price. In the meantime I will be watching for good special offers on the Rebas I think.

Thanks again all.