Twenty First Century (Black and) Blues

Crankbrother
Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
edited June 2013 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sk ... ar-sponsor

Bit of a non story, not much different from when Lotto went from pregnancy testing kits to vitamin tablets ...

It is a brand with a wider worldwide market but let's see how thattranslates to the team ... Hopefully no film/tv tie-ins like in Formula 1 ... Although Froome crossing the line in Paris with 'cowabunga dudes' on the back of his shorts would be quality ...

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So what does this extra money for the biggest budget team go to?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Rapha by the look of it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It's 21st Century Fox, not 20th Century Fox.

It's a new News Corporation company/subsidiary/thing formed out of the Murdochs playing asset splitting. It launches on 1st July this year so makes sense for the Tour. It is really not a NEW sponsor, it's just another Murdoch sponsor. I doubt it brings much money and I doubt Team Sky had much say. More likely James coming along as head of News Corp saying, I have this new brand advertise it on my moving billboards.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

It's a new News Corporation company/subsidiary/thing formed out of the Murdochs playing asset splitting. It launches on 1st July this year so makes sense for the Tour. It is really not a NEW sponsor, it's just another Murdoch sponsor. I doubt it brings much money and I doubt Team Sky had much say. More likely James coming along as head of News Corp saying, I have this new brand advertise it on my moving billboards.

^this. Plus it will help recognition in markets like the US - and now its no surprise that Sky are riding the USA ProChallenge in Aug
  • above_the_cows

^this. Plus it will help recognition in markets like the US - and now its no surprise that Sky are riding the USA ProChallenge in Aug
    Ah yes, good point about ProChallenge and he US market. When they start advertising Fox News I will have to reconsider my position of general support.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695

Oh ffs ... that ruins the Noel Coward reference ... I'll change the title ...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I thought of a really good joke about this last night, but I can't remember it now.

I guess this will see Sky looking to race Cali next year too.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    I thought of a really good joke about this last night, but I can't remember it now.

I guess this will see Sky looking to race Cali next year too.
    Did it have something to do with the people who steer boats?
  • frenchfighter

Got it.

So they are a corrupt business man`s minion. Nice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    As ATC noted, Murdoch is splitting is company into two separate entities: News Corp which owns the newspaper and publishing businesses and 21st Century Fox which owns the media businesses (including Sky, Star TV, Fox, and the movie company). James Murdoch (who as I understand was the key driver behind the sponsorhip) stays with 21st Century. So hardly suprising that they are highlighting the corporate identity...

Given that the sponsorship looks to be coming from the media company (which owns a 39% stake in Sky) will this put to bed all those allusions about coverage in the Times (which will now be owned by a completely different entity)? Probably not...
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:
    Given that the sponsorship looks to be coming from the media company (which owns a 39% stake in Sky) will this put to bed all those allusions about coverage in the Times (which will now be owned by a completely different entity)? Probably not...

Dude they could be sponsored by the Daily Mail and still people would question The Times' integrity in reporting them...
    - @ddraver
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204

Got it.

Aren't we all?
  • ddraver
    If you have any stock, Sell it now. No way can Frenchie be trusted this afternoon!!
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

SKY aren't the biggest budget Team Frenchie. I think they are actually 4th or 5th.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Got it.

Unlike Radioshack-Leapord and Katusha and La Vie Claire (one for the kids) and...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter

SKY aren't the biggest budget Team Frenchie. I think they are actually 4th or 5th.

I`d like to see a proper breakdown of all the budgets to be honest but have never found a reliable source

team-sky-pro-cycling-chris-20130619-165345-511_zps2466bb9e.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I`d like to see a proper breakdown of all the budgets to be honest but have never found a reliable source

There was an interview with Dave Brailsford in something I read recently and he discussed it there. I'll see if I can find it.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Whilst we're banging on about this:
    According to the latest annual report and accounts BSkyB spent a total of £1.2 billion on marketing in 2011 (p31, PDF). As shown above, BSkyB’s contribution to Team Sky was the 60% of the £10.5 million, or about £6 million, This means the cycling team represents 0.5% of the marketing spend. Talk about value for money.
    from inrng
    According to a study commissioned by Cyclingnews and performed by Repucom, last season Team Sky gave more media value to their partners and sponsors than any other cycling team, delivering over $550m in advertising value; the highest achieved by any professional team.
    from Cycling News.

[roughly] A £6m spend results in £360m advertising value - every pound they spend on the team results in the equivalent of £60 worth of advertising. Not bad economics imho. (Disclaimer - noted comparing 2011 spend with 2012 advertising value and total value of advertising value, not just Sky portion). Makes you wonder why other companies don't want to get involved (drugs/risk/commitment etc)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Frenchie, if you dislike Sky because you think Murdoch is corrupt then I do wonder how you cope working in the city on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty shameless operator, but not really any worse than many other Chairmen and CEOs of major global companies.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Generalisations are never a good thing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty shameless operator, but not really any worse than many other Chairmen and CEOs of major global companies.

The level playing field argument. That's what they said about Arrrrrrrrrrrrr....
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • inkyfingers
    Generalisations are never a good thing.

I agree, but surely you can see my point on this occasion. Your in FX right? Bet you move money for some fairly interesting people, do you ever refuse to do it on principle?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    I`m sure there are bad people in the City but I am sure there are bad people in XYZ council. The City is an easy target and covered to death by the media so there is a bias that has developed.

I trade equity derivatives and have no clients as I work for a prop trading house.

Given I have, what I consider to be high morals, should I have to deal with some shady types then I would likely have problems. Thanks goodness I don`t!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Apologies, I thought you were in FX, must be somebody else on here.

I have no problem with the city, i'm a businessman myself, my sole aim in my work is to make profit. Thankfully the media aren't interested in writing stories about greedy capitalist greetings card publishers.
  • frenchfighter
    Haha! We should go for a beer sometime and you can tell me all about the tricks of the trade ; )

FX or another asset class - its probably somewhat similar in the abuses and dubious undertakings that could be found.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Just been doing a revised (worse) budget for this year... trust me, you don't want business tips from me!