Drei Lander Giro 2013

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
Back home from this -did the 72 mile one only just about got in due to a poor website and responses. But whilst there it was a great 3 days, the locals get involved, race across the alps started and finished there -500k in 22 hours !!the ride was awesome stelvio unbelievable -I took 2.44 to get up -happy with that, couple of gripes with where the stops where, 100mts from Stelvio summit! did it in 6.28 -riding time 6.10 - 72 miles, lovely part of Europe, I'm sure I'm the first Welshman to do it?! any questions need info feel free - T.C

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Shall be doing this on Sunday. It's a lovely part of the world, and we've taken in some cracking climbs during our week here. Passo del Rombo today. Should be ace :) The Race Across the Alps is today I think. Looks kind of epic. Was chatting to an old boy at the top of the Stelvio yesterday who said he'd done it 8 times! Fair play like.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/the-race- ... -alps.html
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    passo del rombo where was that? will go back there one day.....
  • phreak
    If you head out from Nauders towards Merano, it's about 20km or so further on. Starts from San Leandro on the Italian side, or Solden on the Austrian side. Some 26km of climbing all told.

There's a nice story surrounding it, as it has only been used once in the Giro (I think), and that was the infamous 1988 race. They went over the Rombo a day or two after the Gavia stage, and the riders were so pissed off that they tried to call a halt to the stage at the first sign of rain. One rider had none of it though and so racing continued, with a rather peeved peleton. Don't think they've ever been back.
  • phreak
    As an aside, the road forks in San Leonardo, so you can turn left and do the Rombo, or turn right and do the Passo di Monte Giovo. That's 18.5km @ 6.2% so another good climb.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Good luck Phreak, have a fantastic ride :D Very envious right now !
  • phreak
    Aye, looking forward to it. Belting day here in Nauders, with the forecast for the same tomorrow. Should be ace :D
  • phreak
    Well, completed her in around 6h45m. Felt super on the Stelvio and got up it in 1h56m, which I was pleased with, but the Ofenpass was horrible. Felt like I was riding through treacle. Thankfully got into a nice group for the ride back into Nauders, which saved my legs no end. Nice ride though. Only three Brits did it I believe, which is a shame.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Well Done Phreak, riding the Stelvio in an event is brilliant 8)

Ofenpass is a killer and very little talked about, we experienced the same !! It is very surprising that this event hasn't attracted more Brits !!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    phreak wrote:
    … the Ofenpass was horrible. Felt like I was riding through treacle.
    Only three Brits did it (the Giro) I believe, which is a shame.
    3Pears wrote:
    Ofenpass is a killer and very little talked about, we experienced the same !!
    It is very surprising that this event hasn't attracted more Brits !!
    Many Giro participants find the Ofenpass difficult because it starts off so suddenly steeply, about 10% in the village of Valchava and for the next couple of kms. And the legs haven’t yet recovered after the Stelvio because it's been nearly all downhill since then.

The two times I did the Dreiländergiro, I was the only GB entrant!

The Norbertshöhe near the end of the event is one of my favourite climbs and someone recently told me that it's where the record for the most ascension on a bike in a day was achieved – the guy simply rode up and down the Norbertshöhe time after time after time for several hours.
    The person who told me this didn’t know what the actual record was but thought a figure over 12000 m. This means at least 28 ascents/descents and about 350 km of up down up down up!
  • phreak
    Yes, the Ofenpass comes very soon after the Stelvio, and with the gravel bit of the descent together with some technical bits means it's not the easiest descent to refuel on before another 12km of climbing.

We did for the final climb a couple of times and it is quite a pleasant one, although I kinda grovelled up it to be honest. I skipped the feed stop at the bottom of the Ofenpass as I figured the really good group I was in was more valuable. Helped to eat up the distance to the foot of Norbertshöhe but was a bit empty for the climb itself.

Super event though and a real shame more Brits don't know about it. Some super riding in that area as well if you make a trip of it.
  • Wanted to do this event for years but the logistics of getting there ,Flights Transporting bike on the train etc put me off any tips?
    Thanks
  • phreak
    We drove as it was easier really, plus you have a bit more flexibility when you're actually there for rides beforehand etc. As you say, it isn't the easiest place to get to via public transport.

There were a few Brits doing it this year. Could you maybe club together and rent a van?