Carbon seat post

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Thinking of getting one. I have what i think is one on my Trek 1.2 and the ride is a lot smoother than my Wilier which has an aluminium one. So going to change the Wilier seat post.

Any recommendations? Also there seems to be different sizes, what usual for a standard road bike?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    If it is the same size as the one on your Trek why not swap them over and see if the comfort stays with the seat post or with the bike?

There are lots of different sizes and the best way to find out which you have is to either measure it or take it to a lbs and ask them.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Had this Bontrager Race XXX Lite in a previous incarnation on my Giant SCR3, was a bit narrow for the seat tube so DeVer Cycles fitted a shim. It made a big difference.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Will be 26.2 or 31.9 - probably the latter if a carbon frame although not necessarily. You can usually tell if it looks kind of skinny, or a bit oversized. Careful when tightening the seat post bolt - carbon posts have a tendency to crack along the back (well both of mine have anyway) - just the lacquer (I hope!) but doesn't look great.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Sewinman wrote:
    Thinking of getting one. I have what i think is one on my Trek 1.2 and the ride is a lot smoother than my Wilier which has an aluminium one. So going to change the Wilier seat post.

Any recommendations? Also there seems to be different sizes, what usual for a standard road bike?

Thanks in advance!

Won't be carbon if it's the post that came with the 1.2. Doesn't mean to say it wasn't swapped out at some point of course.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    If it's the original Trek 1.2 post my guess is its just a carbon wrap on an alu post, had the same on my 1.7 Trek
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Sewinman
    Thanks v much.

The one on the 1.2 doesnt look like aluminium, and bits of it have cracked off due to applying too much torque. Perhaps its the wrapped type. Its Bontrager.

Thinking of getting some road pedals and road shoes too. Are carbon soles worth it?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Use carbon assembly paste for the seat post. Means you don't need to torque the clamp as much.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I only ever wear carbon soled shoes. I find them more comfortable, especially as I have flat feet and the stiffness holds my foot into shape. Also their are psuedo psychological benefits as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Sewinman wrote:
    Thanks v much.

The one on the 1.2 doesnt look like aluminium, and bits of it have cracked off due to applying too much torque. Perhaps its the wrapped type. Its Bontrager.

Thinking of getting some road pedals and road shoes too. Are carbon soles worth it?

I believe the Treks come with Bontrager finishing kit, so will be original I suspect. My old one had a carbon wrapped Bontrager post from memory.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Must be a few years old then as the 1.2 certainly doesn't have a carbon post now, and my 2.1 didn't come with one either.
  • Sewinman
    Going to swap the seat post over and try that, so thanks for the suggestion. Just got some carbon shoes and SPD-SL pedals.