Alpe d'Huez routes

clovis
clovis Posts: 14
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hello all

I am staying at Bour d'Oisans in July this year. Does any one know of any good loops/rides in the area, I will be looking to do most of the iconic climbs, I'm out there for 8 days and want to get the most out of it.

Many thanks

JC

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Just back from Bourg d'Oisans last month, had a great time.

The local tourist office have a book of about 30 rides in the area, strongly recommend picking one of these up as there are a wide variety of routes to choose from, all categorized by varying lengths and difficulty.
    I was only there for 4 days and some of the targets on my list were still closed due to snow (Glandon, Galibier, La Sarenne). I did a loop of Col d'Ornon, Valbonnais and Col de la Morte on my first day, about 80 miles all in. It was a good run but the last 15 miles or so were a bit bland on the road back into Bd'O. With hindisght, I wish I had turned back at Valbonnais and gone back up Col d'Ornon in reverse and taken in the climb to Oulles instead.
    Alpe d'Huez is probably a 'must do' just because it's Alpe d'Huez but definitely try to take in a couple of the balcony roads to Villard Reculas and Auris as well, they are pretty spectacular.
    The one I would really recommend though is Col de la Croix de Fer. I intended to do this and Glandon but, as above, Glandon was not open at the time. It's a fantastic ride albeit a tough one but the scenery is superb.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, you will not be bored. Where are you staying?
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • clovis
    Hi

Thank you for the info, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm staying at the Ferme Noemie campsite and will be there for the Alpe d'Huez stage so needles to say i can't wait to get out there !!!
  • kramark
    kramark Posts: 8
    I'm also planning to be there for the Alpe d'Huez stage...thinking of attempting the route used by "La Marmotte" on Wednesday...
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    Was in Bourg D'Oisans last week had 5 good days of riding. As Crescent pointed out you get a good little booklet of routes from the local tourist office. We did the following:
    Ride up to Les Deux Alpes, with a descent back by a different loop - good warm up.
    The Col du Croix De Fer - Really 3 seperate climbs and fairly hard at the start, but the scenery is worth the effort.
    Alpe D'Huez then continue on over the Col Du Sarenne (descent was a bit gravelly though), before returning back down to B D'O.
    Col De La Morte then on to Col D'Ornon. This is the reverse direction to what Crescent described and if it's a hot day you'll get more shade climbing the Col De La Morte.
    Col De Galibier via the Col De Lautaret. 50km rising all the way and you can feel the altitude near the top. Fantastic descent coming back though.

Just bear in mind that you won't be able to cover as much distance as you can here when you add in the amount of climbing you have to do, so don't be too ambitious in your routes on the first couple of days. If you're out for 8 days you'll probably best to have at least one rest day.
  • crescent
    ShavenLegs wrote:
    Col De La Morte then on to Col D'Ornon. This is the reverse direction to what Crescent described and if it's a hot day you'll get more shade climbing the Col De La Morte.

I can imagine the climb from Sechilenne to Col de La Morte is pretty tough, it was a great descent :D but almost like a mini Alpe d'Huez with all those bends.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • clovis
    Thanks for the info so far, I'm pulling a few routes together and will be making sure I get some proper R & R too, on that note can anyone recommend a good restaurant/cafe in Bourg d'Oisans ? Cheers
  • crescent
    I ate in my B&B (Le Petit Catelan) for the four nights I was there. This was due mainly to the fairly remote location although the food was superb as well, don't think they do external bookings as such though. Only place I ate in was the Cafe des Negociants in Bd'O, only a sandwich but nice enough and a nice pint too :) . Unfortunately, there wasn't much open when I was there so can't really recommend anywhere else.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Hi.

I got back from the area last week and can also recommend the quiet little climb up to the village of Oulles - it's about 1km from the start of the Ornon, B d'O side. Tight hairpins and no barriers make for an interesting descent.

Also remember the long finger gloves for the descent down from the Galibier if you do it !!

Can't suggest any places to eat as we took our own food and cooked it in the caravan.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisan ... tes-oisans

This link may be of use, you can also download the the guide that is available from the tourist office. This will give you time to plan some great rides.

Out of interest how did you get on finding accommodation as I am starting to plan a trip there for summer 2014
  • kramark
    kramark Posts: 8
    The guide indicates that D25 to Col de Sarenne will be closed all week...wonder if this is true and will be enforced? (for bike traffic)
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    Just got back from the Marmotte and wanted to recommend a nice ride from AdH up the Col Du Sabot.:

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/col-du-sabot/
  • clovis
    phippss wrote:
    http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisans/road-cycle-routes-oisans

Out of interest how did you get on finding accommodation as I am starting to plan a trip there for summer 2014

thank you for the link, I'm staying at the ferme noemie campsite, http://www.fermenoemie.com/ its received very good reviews, I'm camping, I booked as long ago as December and all powered pitches had gone, though no doubt the tour impacted on that. I'll let you know how it is.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    that ride up to ville notre dame is a gem, not to be missed, you can link up with a route through to ville raymond, via a fire road type track-- fine on a road bike-- a superb and little used route with stupendous views across the valley to the Alp D H -- in my opinion a more dramatic route than many of the more 'famous' climbs about the area-- envious ....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree with that - was over there for the Marmotte and many of the smaller roads are more spectacular - the tourist information offices have a booklet of 30 or so rides you can pick up for free. The Sarenne is definitely one to do if open as is Villa Reculas as an alternative way up or down the Alpe. Maybe go over the Glandon and back up the Mollard - the descent of the glandon/cdf towards Bourg was my favourite of the week.

Edit - just noticed the free booklet has already been mentioned

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • crescent
    the descent of the glandon/cdf towards Bourg was my favourite of the week.

Do you mean this road? I liked it a lot too, so much so that I stopped to take this photo :D
    232323232%7Ffp54347%3Enu%3D454%3B%3E364%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3542674%3A8334%3Cnu0mrj