Rear brake caplier clearance

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Shimano 105 dual pivot brakes.

Even with the quick release fully open I couldn't get my wheel with 23mm tyres through the gap without forcing the issue. So something is amiss here, what should I be adjusting to ensure the wheel can be taken in and out cleanly?

Comments

• davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I would guess you need to undo the cable clamp bolt and let a small amount of cable through so that the caliper opens a fraction.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    DaveM399 wrote:
    I would guess you need to undo the cable clamp bolt and let a small amount of cable through so that the caliper opens a fraction.

Cheers; I'll give that a try! Was running late for work this morning so it just got banged in best I could ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Gently grip the cable with some narrow nosed pliers just below the clamp bolt so that when you loosen it, only a small length of cable is released. Much easier than letting the caliper ping wide open and having to start from scratch again with all three hands etc.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If your barrel adjuster is not already fully wound in you can wind it in a bit to open the caliper.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you are happy with the position of the pads (when in normal operation) put the wheel in THEN pump up the tyre. That way you can have the brakes where you like them and still get the wheel in/out.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    smidsy wrote:
    If you are happy with the position of the pads (when in normal operation) put the wheel in THEN pump up the tyre. That way you can have the brakes where you like them and still get the wheel in/out.

Actually - this makes most sense.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}