29er wheels for less than £200?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a spare set of wheels for my 29er so I can use it both on and off road without messing about with swapping tyres.

Mate's offered me a set of Mavic A319's laced to Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs for £200, only done around 200 miles, or I can get a brand new set of Shimano WH-MT66 for £150 delivered from On One - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPSHMT6629E ... h_wheelset

The bike's currently got a set of DT Swiss X470 rims with Sram X9 hubs, so I'd prefer the other set to be of similar quality, how do the 2 sets above compare, and any other options worth considering please? Cheers. :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Often easier to swap tyres - swap wheels and you will likely have to adjust the brake calipers and do a bit of indexing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Add to your £200 budget the cost of brake discs, a cassette, tyres, tubes, and a pair of wheels hanging around that need to be kept clean . . . and changing tyres starts to look like a sensible option. It doesn't take long
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Thanks for the replies, already got 2 spare sets of tyres, tubes, and a set of brake discs, just need a cassette.

Any recommendations between the 2 I initially mentioned, new and second hand? I might just stick with the one set and change tyres, but still interested to know what I can get for my pennies. ;)
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I can only echo the above guys posts. I acquired an apparently near identical rear wheel spare for my bike (I was given it). During winter I was swapping between spiked tyres and normal depending on ice conditions here. I had to swap the front tyre because I only had 1 front wheel but swapped the rear wheel with tyre installed. Every time I had to adjust brake calipers and indexing on the rear wheel. I did this twice then gave up and swapped tyres. And this was with pig horrible wire bead spike tyres. It became very clear that swapping the front tyre on the same rim was taking a few minutes and little problem while doing the back and getting it right was a pain in the butt.

Trust me (and the other guys). Swapping a tyre is far less hassle than swapping wheels. I might work for cars, but not for bikes.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have 2 rear wheels for my MTB (one with a semi-slick tyre on), indexing is fine when swapping between them and takes less than a minute to re-centre the disc brake, I run tubeless so swapping tyres would be a far bigger PITA.
    As for the OP's question - sorry don't know although I guess superstar worth looking at for a cheap option, just pray you don't get one of their dodgy builds
  • Asif Tufal
    Asif Tufal Posts: 109
    It's also worth considering Fulcrum Red Power 29er SL: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78571