any colour you like

oblongomaculatus
oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
edited July 2013 in Road general
If you could have your next bike custom painted, what colour scheme would you choose? I ask because I have noticed that the majority of bikes I have owned have been either black or dark grey. Although I rather like those colours I didn't choose them for that reason; It just happened that those particular years the make/model I was interested in had that colour scheme. And if you browse awhile you realise black is the most frequently used colour. You rarely get an option these days; maybe a choice of two if you're lucky.

My choice would be burgundy (or maroon, or claret, whatever you call it) and silver, with white lettering. I'm also rather partial to orange; not the hi-viz shade, more a burnt orange/copper, with a little black. Though not too coppery, or too much black, or the frame might look like it's made of duracell batteries... Specialized have one of their 2013 Roubaix in orange, though only for the US market I think, which is close to the shade I mean in photographs, though I haven't seen one on the flesh. Dark green and white would look good too, I think.

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    bang on reallly - I have seen far too many full custom frames (Roberts etc) that are black or white, I can't fathom it as you have the full colour pallette, why go for the colour that most bikes are sold in?

having said that, depends on the components; so many bits are colour branded, the accent colours are decided for you...

I would have a strong blue and pale blue accent (or vice versa) but you'd need primarily black componentry

or pink, I'm comfortable with that :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Well, for me it would end up being black, and preferably devoid of any discernible branding. I like black because it doesn't look dirty the moment it hits the road, it's pleasantly anonymous, and as has been pointed out already, there's never going to be a problem with the rest of the bits not matching. An absence of branding would definitely be a plus as well.
    Mangeur
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    Well if you like burnt orange and black. That equals a Merkx bike ............. since they were his colours for so long at Molteni.

EMX_3_Black_Carbon_Orange_Shimano_Ultegra_07_spoke.jpg

I have one ........ but I couldn't afford it in these colours as the group set makes it a bit rich for my budget. But I wish.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,615
    If you could have your next bike custom painted, what colour scheme would you choose? I ask because I have noticed that the majority of bikes I have owned have been either black or dark grey. Although I rather like those colours I didn't choose them for that reason; It just happened that those particular years the make/model I was interested in had that colour scheme. And if you browse awhile you realise black is the most frequently used colour. You rarely get an option these days; maybe a choice of two if you're lucky.

My choice would be burgundy (or maroon, or claret, whatever you call it) and silver, with white lettering. I'm also rather partial to orange; not the hi-viz shade, more a burnt orange/copper, with a little black. Though not too coppery, or too much black, or the frame might look like it's made of duracell batteries... Specialized have one of their 2013 Roubaix in orange, though only for the US market I think, which is close to the shade I mean in photographs, though I haven't seen one on the flesh. Dark green and white would look good too, I think.

Something like this one perhaps?
    6000415833_356b5dfd1f_b.jpg

Or this one?
    6171057006_541bc1a774_b.jpg

Have a look here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/baumcycles/

You might find something you like in that lot.. 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • edhornby wrote:
    depends on the components; so many bits are colour branded, the accent colours are decided for you...

I would have a strong blue and pale blue accent (or vice versa) but you'd need primarily black componentry

Black, silver or grey pedals/cranks/brake calipers ec would go with most colour schemes. I really meant the frame and fork. I like your blue - light blue idea, not many blue bikes on the road these days. The Merxx looks good too, though more orange and less black would be better for me.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yellow is the new black....it says so in my sig :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Yellow is the new black....it says so in my sig :-)

Got a yellow one. It's a late 80's/early 90's Raleigh that I rescued from the dump (in good working order apart from flat tyres). Actually although I think of it as 'the yellow bike' it's mainly white, with big splashes of day glo yellow and purple. NOT a colour combination I'd choose, but it was free. I ride it in wet weather when I don't want to get my other bikes mucky because I've just washed them.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I would go day glo flouro green.

That way no need for lights at night and no one could say I copied anyone else!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mine Massive Attack is going in for custom paint this week. Simple black and white with drips a la Krink. :D
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    When I had my bespoke tourer built up I had a choice of whatever colour or combination of colours I liked. IT was not an easy choice. I pored over colour charts for weeks, talked with artist friends, scoured the internet looking at all sorts of different bicycle liveries. I had a set of colours I really liked (a sort of mauve, highlighted with pale 'Parisian pink' on the head tube), but these colours were very different from anything I had seen anywhere else. I really liked them though and so, on the day, I went with them - pretty much to the bemusement of the guy at the spray shop who said he had never used those colours on a bicycle in something like 30 years of spraying.

I did it anyway figuring I would regret it if I chickened out and went with something classic - and I am so glad I did. The colours worked really well together and the bike itself is beautiful, and distinct. I love it.
  • goonz
    If its the one in your blog, it really a very nice looking bike.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Bildschirmfoto-2013-03-01-um-13.38.15-435x242.jpg

In the post I should add.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    a sort of mauve, highlighted with pale 'Parisian pink' on the head tube

Your tourer has captured the colours of the sky at sunset, very apt.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • If you had the money, and the inclination (and the space to store them all) you could have a fleet of band-based bikes in the appropriate colour schemes, eg Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Green Day, Simply Red, Tangerine Dream... There must be lots...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    When my steel bike goes in for its next respray I'm going for a nice, deep Alfa Red. It was originally red and yellow and then got re-sprayed to its current purple.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Leopard print.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I'd go Fluro green and black.

Bit like the De Rosa. I just love how 'in your face' it is. It's screaming at me to ride it hard :)

3f390c_5ff6046de307dfbd7bc623d40a3f7cf2.jpg_srz_495_380_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
    7729394784_13b0f0e29a_c.jpg
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    The Ritte Bosberg is my fave bike colour scheme

http://www.balfa.co.uk/rittebosberg2012
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Citrus - predominantly lime green with orange and lemon trim.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    team47b wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    a sort of mauve, highlighted with pale 'Parisian pink' on the head tube

Your tourer has captured the colours of the sky at sunset, very apt.
    Many thanks!
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Milky tea colour.

I seen a mtb in the your ride section ages ago and just loved the colour, but sadly lost the thread.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    iPete wrote:
    Bildschirmfoto-2013-03-01-um-13.38.15-435x242.jpg

In the post I should add.

That is rather nice - hope you enjoy it.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    The Gulf Racing coloured CAAD10 remains my favourite colour scheme/frame combo.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

I was trying to find the Gulf coloured Baum (I think it was), do really like that scheme too.
  • goonz
    iPete wrote:

I was trying to find the Gulf coloured Baum (I think it was), do really like that scheme too.
  • Some nice Parlee custom paint jobs.....and some not so nice of corse.

Another lovely Gulf racing example in there too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parleecycles/sets/72157628610678639/
  • iPete wrote:

Pale blue and orange? I could go with that. Also like Bianchi blue, Celeste as they call it. I especially like the fact that Binachi do have a company colour, so when you think of their bikes you automatically think of it, even though many of their bikes have other colour schemes. A bit like associating Ferrari with red... If I was buying a Bianchi, I'd insist on it being Bianchi blue.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    My steel frame Raleigh frame is an orange colour, with black forks - to represent my football team :oops:

I went to the Enigma open day a few months ago and the "best bike on display" was a beautiful red colour (Forget actually colour name) similar to this though...excellence2.jpg

As for carbon framed... I would say the Merkx Molteni colours are quite nice and would tie in with my Raleigh :D
  • Did anyone see Alan Sugar on The One Show a few weeks ago? He has three Pinarellos - one in Florida, one in France, and another in the UK. One is a limited edition Prince of Spain, in the colours of the Spanish flag, red and yellow. Now that's what I call a colour scheme! I don't know if I love it or hate it, but you can't deny it's eyecatching...

http://bethelcycle.com/articles/the-lat ... ce-383.htm
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Did anyone see Alan Sugar on The One Show a few weeks ago? He has three Pinarellos - one in Florida, one in France, and another in the UK. One is a limited edition Prince of Spain, in the colours of the Spanish flag, red and yellow. Now that's what I call a colour scheme! I don't know if I love it or hate it, but you can't deny it's eyecatching...

http://bethelcycle.com/articles/the-lat ... ce-383.htm

I wonder who he pays to ride them?