Wrist Pain / Tendinitis

Irri_Tant
Irri_Tant Posts: 195
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Anyone suffered De Quervain's Tendinitis from changing gear?

What have you done to help cure the injury?

I read up on the positioning of the gear levers from the manufacturers info and they suggested I move them further away from the grip. I moved them 1cm inward so there was a gap between the grip and the lever mount but still within easy reach. Gear levers are now back to original position. I don’t have any pain in the wrist whilst on the bike changing gear though.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00007

Comments

• Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    Hi

I've had this problem before - but TBH I think mine was caused by my hand position on a flat-barred hybrid.
    It was also in my left wrist , so I didn't change gear much (front gears only)

I got referred by my GP for physiotherapy and was also fitted for a brace to limit movement to aid recovery.
    The brace did actually stop me changing gear - but as noted above it was my left wrist taht was affected so no real hardship.

I had the brace for about 2 months & the wrist was improving gradually.
    I also used Ibruprofen gel to ease the pain.

However , i then found a different cure as my then bike was stolen & I replaced it with a normal road bike,
    Problem then disappeared within a week !

Might have been co-incidence - but it's never recurred, 3 years on.

Mike
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Irri_Tant wrote:

Tried the test and I am in pain now. I am a clutz and maybe pushed too hard.

It also talks about numbness. I have only been cycling for about 6 months now and my hands are always numb. Is this normal?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but was afraid to pose the question before this, in case I get told to MTFU
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Irri_Tant
    Irri_Tant Posts: 195
    Mike_L wrote:
    I've had this problem before - but TBH I think mine was caused by my hand position on a flat-barred hybrid.

I'm on a Boardman Hybrid with flat bars. Fitted Ergon grips a couple of years back and I know I adjusted them after the 29th May this year as I didn't have pain on the 29th as it was my brothers birthday. Think I re-visit the grip postition.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp2

Got a soft wrist brace and using Ibruprofen gel also. Should go back to GP and get referred through BUPA for physio