Query about the iPhone Strava app abroad

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
I am going to France in three weeks on a cycling holiday that takes in three days of the Tour around Gap. Have been umming and ahhing about whether to get a Go Pro to record bits of it for posterity or a Garmin - can't really afford both as a new shower is next on the list when I get home! I currently use the Strava app on my work iPhone for my rides but I won't have international roaming when I am away.

My boss said I could still use the Strava app, even though I won't have roaming but I'm not so sure - anyone tried it before?
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I recently used it while abroad. I had all mobile data turned off so maps didn't load, but it still tracked the ride fine.

Obviously maps & data loads fine once you have a wifi connection and you'll then be able to upload your ride.

That said, a Garmin is much nicer :)

iPhone Strava app here too by the way.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yep, works fine abroad. Switch off data and use it as normal. The GPS will record the location fine then it'll sync when you find somewhere with Wifi later. Used it in Turkey before no probs.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The Strava app uses the GPS to plot your route and only needs an internet connection via data or wifi when synching, so they'll just build up until you enable data or connect at a wifi point. If you want to display maps you'll need an internet connection but that's a seperate issue, navigating.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Thanks - that's really useful. Shouldn't need the maps bit as we've got a guide with us, and hopefully the hotel we're in will have wifi (apparently pronounced "whiffy" in French :) )
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    But bear in mind if you are riding long days then Strava will drain your iphone battery. It might not last the whole day unless you have a battery booster thingymajig. at least if you ahve a guide you shouldn't need the phone for emergencies and can recharge it back at hotel.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    t4tomo wrote:
    But bear in mind if you are riding long days then Strava will drain your iphone battery. It might not last the whole day unless you have a battery booster thingymajig. at least if you ahve a guide you shouldn't need the phone for emergencies and can recharge it back at hotel.

It definitely won't last the whole day.....it drains the battery like no-one's business which is why I ended up buying a Garmin 200.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may well last the whole day with all the roaming stuff off....
    In the UK my Galaxy S3 battery lasts about 40 hours (just) on normal usage, with roaming off overseas (only used for phone and SMS so the screen is barely on as well) it has gone 7 days without a problem, noting that when your riding you often have poor signal anyway so burn up the phone battery even more for all those crucial email etc updates!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Switch off the call capabilities also if battery use is an issue and only use GPS
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon