how do i centre my brakes?

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, the front and rear calipers on my defy 1 are not centered correctly I know there is the small screw on one of the caliper arms but this only moves one pad, the other pad is still rubbing the rim, anyone know a good way of resolving this issue. I'm sure its a simple fix, but I don't want to fiddle with things and make it worse.
Thanks.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What make?

If Shimano you simple need to grab it and manually centre it. The centre (main) bolt through the frame takes care of the rest. Obviously this is if everything is working as it should.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    24457.jpg
    On the top of one of the caliper arms there is a small recessed allen bolt.. usually 3mm.
    This alters the centering.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Smidsy wins. Just move the whole thing till it's in the right place. There's no dark art about it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Undo the nut/bolt on the back of the brakes and apply the brakes and tighten the nut/bolt back up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Back the pads off with the cable adjuster until the touching pad is clear of the rim, then use the screw to centre the pads by moving the other pad to the correct position.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I should perhaps add that the screw JGSI mentions is also used 'to make minor adjustment' to the centering.

So in fact it is a combination of both methods...but mainly the move it manually bit :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Technically speaking the screw adjustment is the right approach, as per Shimanos instructions. If you need a major adjustment then yes, loosen off the rear bolt if necessary, adjust the brake calipers manually then squeeze the brakes onto the rim with your hand and then re-tighten the rear bolt as per the manufacturers torque specifications.
  • thanks, i have sorted it now thanks again for the replies and advice.