Prescription Glasses choice.

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I wear prescription glasses, I dont like contacts as make my eyes dry. I have looked into sports/cycling/safety glasses and all silly money. Not like my Avenair smokes that was 15.00 before I needed specs. I cant carry on wearing my daily glasses for biking as not only look stupid but only a small window of vision and my eyes ache when return.

Does anyone have any recommendations on glasses, that are good and cheap for prescription. And what I should be looking for.

Cheers

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Buy any glasses you like the look off and get them re-glazed http://www.ineedspex.co.uk/category?id=16/replacement-lenses/

Or buy glasses which are rx insert compatible and get them glazed to your prescription i've just done this with a pair of Shimano sunglasses for about £65 total
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I also suffer from dry eyes, but I find that daily disposable contacts (Accuvue Moist) work well as long as I also wear my riding glasses (Bolle saftey specs - v cheap) to keep the wind out of my eyes and contacts. I guess it depends how much you don't get on with contacts!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • lbalony
    Not at all, but I have tried sooo many times. Shame as the best option. Bit pricey though to do a pair every ride also.

Like the idea of fitting lenses to glasses, the rx insert looks interesting as would enable me to get different colour lenses for different conditions. :D

Was hoping someone said you can get Oakley jupiters for 50.00 including lenses haha
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Rudy Project Rydons....love em, RX insert and you can change lens for just about ever condition....granted not cheap but you get what you pay for
  • lbalony
    Just been looking at them and stumbled across a brand called Tifosi with RX inserts, serious bits of kit and cheap but only in the usa :(
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    I am on my 2nd pair of glasses with rx inserts a couple of things to be aware of

1. The first pair I had were maxgear world cup sun glasses. They had full frames ie went all around the tinted lens this meant that they were reasonably heavy and slid down my nose. After a year or so the frame for the rx insert just fell apart as it was too flimsy.

2. I now have a pair of powerace from planet x. I've had them about 4 months. These are much better as the frame around the tinted lens is only a half lens so they are lighter than the maxgear ones. Also the rx insert is lightweight metal rather than plastic. I don't know I have them on most of the time.

However, what I do find is that when I sweat, it drips down between the two lenses and this makes it difficult to see and impossible to clean without dismantling everything which can realistically only be done after a ride.

I also use a cheap of prescription sunglasses that I picked up from tesco for about £35, Asda are cheap as well. I probably prefer these as they are lighter, easier to clean/use although maybe don't look as good on a bike.
  • lbalony
    borisface wrote:
    I am on my 2nd pair of glasses with rx inserts a couple of things to be aware of

1. The first pair I had were maxgear world cup sun glasses. They had full frames ie went all around the tinted lens this meant that they were reasonably heavy and slid down my nose. After a year or so the frame for the rx insert just fell apart as it was too flimsy.

2. I now have a pair of powerace from planet x. I've had them about 4 months. These are much better as the frame around the tinted lens is only a half lens so they are lighter than the maxgear ones. Also the rx insert is lightweight metal rather than plastic. I don't know I have them on most of the time.

However, what I do find is that when I sweat, it drips down between the two lenses and this makes it difficult to see and impossible to clean without dismantling everything which can realistically only be done after a ride.

I also use a cheap of prescription sunglasses that I picked up from tesco for about £35, Asda are cheap as well. I probably prefer these as they are lighter, easier to clean/use although maybe don't look as good on a bike.

They are some good things to consider. I have thought of just getting some cheap glasses. But i do want uv protectionand choice of lenses so limits my options. I was going to just get some prescription bolle safety specs but ... Errr i start thinking about em and then i want more. Its a tough choice! You'd think the mags would do stuff on prescription glasses as its probably a common issue?