Fast, Light, Steel Commuter with Discs?

civrjc1
civrjc1 Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all, hoping for some advice as please. I currently have a carbon race bike but would like a winter trainer/commuter that will take mud guards and a rack. I have a £1k cyclescheme voucher but don't mind puting some extra money towards it to get the right bike.

I thought the Genesis Croix de Fer was perfect but subsequently found out it weighs almost 12kgs! Is it possible to get something with similar spec that is lighter? I was also hoping I might be able to get 105 at that price point, maybe i'm dreaming.

A few thoughts:

How does the Planet X Dirty Disco compare? It seems a lot lighter, with good spec but with the compromise of a carbon frame I guess?

Also does anyone have experience of using the Shimano Alfine for this type of bike/usage? Is it worth considering?

Many thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Steel frames have a weigth penealty over carbon and aluminium, and the Alfine usually comes out heavier too. I doubt you'll get a bike for your budget lighter than what you already have.

I don't see carbon as a compromise anymore - I see steel as a compromise ;-). The Planet X looks great for the money.
  • Dirty Disco looks a great package, unfortunately it won't take mudguards or a rack. You can build a steel frame disc bike that'll take these and weigh under 9kg, but you need to pay a chunk more than £1000.

How about a Kinesis Pro 6, very nice bike, take mudguards and a rack, 32mm Marathon Winters for all year round use and with an aluminium frame and carbon fork not only looks good but ticks both your compromise boxes too. :D Mine weighs a tad under 9kg with the Kinesis wheels, mudguards and 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons (no rack).

Ran the Alfine 8 speed with a Charge Duster for a while (that's no lightweight). Worked fine although you do notice the extra weight on the back wheel if you want to get up a kerb. I found the spacing of the gears to be a bit wide, always seemed to be "just" in the wrong gear. The 11 speed would probably help there although the concentration of weight at the back of the bike is always going to be noticeable.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • civrjc1
    civrjc1 Posts: 3
    Thank you for your replies gents. I will def check out Kinesis and planning to ride the Genesis this weekend so will hopefully get an idea of the difference to my existing bike.

I agree the Dirty Disco does seem exceptional value.The only reason I thought steel was for durability, but for weight and performance it seems carbon is the only way.

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carbon can be very durable too - is easy to repair in the right hands too, should it go wrong.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    i have the genesis croix de fer. i bought it for the exact reasons you list here. yes it's a big lump of a bike, but I don't find that I notice the extra weight that much apart from when I'm picking it up to get it over a fence !

that's the beauty of the croix de fer however in that its a go anywhere bike. it's happy on the road, on equally happy off road. using mine for commuting, and it gives me options of terrain so if i fancy a change of route to break up the usual commute on the road, then i can hit the canal tow-paths etc.

i put 25mm touring tyres on mine as the nobbly stock tyres would really hold it back on the road. SKS chromoplastic guards, plenty of room for a rack. mine survived a full on collision with a van, although the wheels needed replacing there wasnt much more than a scratch done to the frame.

picked mine up also on cycle to work scheme - came in just under the max price thanks to an offer at Cycle Gear in Halifax.

as you can probably tell, I'm a bit taken with mine. Also have a weekend "fast bike" but with the UK weather, find that I'm using the Croix De Fer the most.

happy to answer any specific questions you might have on it......
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is nothing wrong with modern aluminium bikes. The butted ones are lighter than steel at an equivalent price point because the industry is geared up for making decent Al frames by the squillion. Commuter bikes need all-weather durability but don't need all-day comfort. +2 for aluminium.
    Kinesis Tripster (Shimano 105) looks good if you don't want hub gears. 10Kg with no accessories.
    I have run Alfine 8 for 5 years, it is great for nipping around town and gently rolling terrain. I like the concept of belt drive for winter use but the system can be picky about tension and alignment. I use a thick chain and the simple chainline makes for a clean chain.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    I would think twice about steel. I got a Kona Honky Inc, couldnt test ride so took the plunge and ordered one anyway. Yes its super comfy, but its a bit of a tank, I havent weighed it but its heavier than my previous alu bike. Taked about options for reducing weight and looked at titanium frames. Interestingly only about 500g difference. Mate suggested I look to wheel upgrades instead as rotational weight will affect the bike more than static frame weight, original wheels were very robust! Light wheels and tubeless tyres TRANSFORMED the bike, feels amazing, smoothness and solid feeling of the steel but with seemingly zero inertia of the wheels.

Wouldn't get another steel bike i dont think. Its gone rusty at the contact points where cables rub too which is annoying.
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I had an On-one pompetamine versa (steel frame, rack, Alfine 8 and discs... ) Great commuting bike but it ain't fast or light!
  • My cyclescheme bike will be in use all year round and used on/off road.

Merida Cyclocross4, Aluminium frame/carbon fork, 105 groupset, Disc brakes, mudguard/panier eyelets (wont be using them so can't confirm their functinality).

So far it seems very durable, its comfortable and done nearly 500miles in 3weeks :) including a 6hr trek through the Peak District off road in heavy rain
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I had a test ride on a Croix de Fer and really liked it, it felt remarkably lively given it's weight. I also tried a Pinnacle something that, although much lighter, felt dead. But I bought a Kinesis Pro 6 and love it. Built it up myself with hand built wheels and BB7 brakes, slightly better than the standard build, but it came in at about the same price. Very happy with it.
  • It isn't especially fast or light, and it isn't steel, but my current commuter has other qualities that might appeal to the OP and make it worth considering i.e. hydraulic discs, Alfine 8 speed, 32mm tyres, takes mudguards and racks. Cost me $1400 AUD.

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes ... 8-g-6.html

This probably isn't your cup of tea but might be worth considering? It's great to ride too, much better than the steel single speed it replaced.