Hello all!

craigmorgan
craigmorgan Posts: 89
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Well I've decided to get off the sofa and get sort of fit, so cycling it is as the gym bores me :(

Decided to take the plunge and got myself s claud butler criterium. Something cheap just to make sure I stick at it.

Done my first ride a nice 10 mile run to make sure there were no problems....a few slight moments getting used to clip less pedals at junctions (not come off....yet :lol: ) only other problem was entering a bend a little to quick down hill...that nearly was a brown moment.

First thing ordered has been the bib shorts, comfort is the way forward I think! Bit of getting used to the bikes and then I will prob look for a club nearby

Comments

• djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Hi Craig, excellent another budding member of the cycling fraternity! Good luck and let us know how you get one.

Be careful, I started like you about a year ago and now I do 600+ miles a month. It can be (excellently) addictive!
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hi Craig. Welcome. As mentioned above cycling is indeed very addictive especially when you have strava to track your cycling progress :)
  • Found strava and I can see this getting quite fun...

Already thinking about getting out when I finish work, hope it stays dry for a bit
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    When you are proper addicted you will not mind the rain, or the wind, or the sleet, or the....you get the idea. :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • jimmas
    jimmas Posts: 50
    Welcome to the forum,as they all say very addictive.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    welcome to the MAMIL club
  • Done my best to fall off on my second ride. Found that the basic Kendall tyres do not really inspire confidence so they will prob be first thing that needs to be changed.

I've driven round South Wales and never been botherd by these hills, now I'm getting to know them all!
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Done my best to fall off on my second ride. Found that the basic Kendall tyres do not really inspire confidence so they will prob be first thing that needs to be changed.

I've driven round South Wales and never been botherd by these hills, now I'm getting to know them all!

Aha, my locale. Let us know first time you ascend Rhigos and Bwlch. :D
  • As an update on shall we call it progress?

First week 27 miles in total lots of short runs to get used to the bike and get my seating just right. Purchased some padded shorts as these silly razor edged seats.....well you get the idea.

Ordered some nice bib shorts which are on they're way as the ones I've got seem to wander slightly which makes it not quite as comfortable as I like.

Second week so far we are up to 40 miles all ready and starting to think what I can upgrade. Might treat myself to some decent tyres as a start. The bike should get me through the winter and then I can purchase something a bit nicer...oh I've also done my initiation in to the club. Forgot to unclip my foot and down I went, also cattle grids when wet can be a brown moment (perhaps an ag2r outfit might cover this)

Best thing is that I've managed to get the rest of the family out on the bikes so might be a good outcome.