Desecrating a road bike

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
The OH has a bike that's far too small for her. A hybrid no less.

I'm tempted to grab a cheap road frame from Chadders81 and transfer some of the stuff from her hybrid onto a new frame. The hybrid is a Ridgeback Flight 01 though, so cheap Shimano hybrid gears and canti brakes.
I'll need new brakes and shifters I assume. The rest of it though... is it at all doable or just a silly idea?

The donor frame would be a Trek in Discovery livery, so it's only one of Lance's old bikes that I'd be dishonouring.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    dhope wrote:

I'm tempted to grab a cheap road frame from Chadders81 and transfer some of the stuff from her hybrid onto a new frame. The hybrid is a Ridgeback Flight 01 though, so cheap Shimano hybrid gears and canti brakes.
    I'll need new brakes and shifters I assume. The rest of it though... is it at all doable or just a silly idea?

The donor frame would be a Trek in Discovery livery, so it's only one of Lance's old bikes that I'd be dishonouring.

Anything that involves 4 mentions of the "H" word can't be anything but a silly idea.

Buy her a proper bike.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    dhope wrote:

Having her ride around on a too-small hybrid is one thing, but a Lance bike? You surely couldn't do that to her...

Have you checked the wheels will fit? Assuming they're 700c, is the rear hub 130mm or 135mm?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope
    I didn't know she owned a hybrid when I met her to be fair...

Wheels are 700C. Rear hub 135mm. Hmm, that might be an issue?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    dhope wrote:

Yes, possibly. Even if it has a removable spacer to bring it down to 130, you'll still need a shorter axle (probably) and to have it re-dished. Expense that's potentially unjustifiable...

You might want to also check the rim width, as if you are going to switch to normal road calipers, then you *may* find the rims (and tyres) are a tight squeeze if they are any wider than standard road wheels.

Also, I think hybrid drivetrains are usually MTB parts? I don't know if road shifters will have the same index spacing in the lever throw as MTB derailleurs (and cassettes). Should be ok, but may be fettling required.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    dhope wrote:

If the frame is steel you can either re-space it, or just force the dropouts apart when you put the wheel in. If it's aluminium or carbon you almost certainly can't.

You could get some new wheels, but by that stage it might just be easier to get another bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Wouldn't it be simpler just to get rid of the complete package and get a new one (with a proper bike)?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, new brakes, new controls, poor gearing, possibly new rear wheel and they sound cheap bits anyway, just do it properly.

To all you naresayers, I ride a Hybrid.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope
    Yeah, thought it might be a bit much.
    Just need to persuade her to sell the thing which she's reluctant to do, as it's cycle to work, despite having paid the full amount already :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    You need to tell her about n+1 then.