Hive mind: recommend a camcroder and video editing software

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
"Hive Mind Assemble!"

Situation:

Currently my company has got a Sony HDR-HC9E camcorder.

There is no software for this camcorder and it won't connect to any PC (if you know why this is the case please explain - I don't need software to connect the cameras or phones for example, and I will need to provide a reasonable explanation). Needless to say, recorded footage on the device remains on the device unless we send the 'tape' to an external company.

The task:

Make three recommendations to resolve my company's video recording/editing conumdrum:

1. Resolve the issue around why the exisiting camcorder won't connect to a PC. Is there a solution? How much would this solution cost? Please feel free to explain why we should keep/replace this camcorder with a new one.

2. If we were to replace the exisiting camcorder with a new one, which one should we get and what software? Is the software that comes with camcorders any good, easy to use for a complete novice ? *Please note that the camcorder that has been mentioned is: Canon Legria HF M52.

3. As a new PC may be required to launch and run the camcorder software, does Apple have provide an option? I.e. Mac Book and video editing software. If so please recommend.

Further information:

The camcorder and editing software will be used by staff of varying abilities and therefore needs to be easy to use.

We'll be recording interviews, footage of meetings and events to upload onto Youtube, our website and link to Facebook, Twitter.

May thanks in advance!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have a camcorder of a similar spec to the ones you list. I think it is a Panasonic but I can't be sure as it is gathering dust at the bottom of a drawer.
    My Lumix pocket camera (1 1/2 years old) takes far better quality video footage and as I now have a Nikon D600 which is even better I will never buy a camcorder again.
    My recommendation would be to use whatever cameras you have as they should come with software and as long as they are recent models.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    This is an HDV camera recording to miniDV tape. This standard is getting on a bit now but works pretty well and does have some advantages over recording to memory card (mainly how cheap it is to back up your footage on tape compared to hard drive etc). The connection to PC is via Sony iLink, which is another term for IEE1394 or FireWire, if you use Apple. Firewire cards and cables are available for PCs and I imagine the camera would have come with some basic video editing software (Sony Vegas maybe?). This should be a pretty cheap way to get you up and running without buying a new camera or PC.

If you want to buy a new computer I am pretty keen on Final Cut Pro X running on a decent mac - seriously fast editing compared to track based editors like Premiere.