Endura Firefly or Humvee?

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Just wondering if anyone uses the Endura Firefly or Humvee pants for commuting? They look pretty smart.

I currently use jogging bottoms which is less than ideal as i work in an office and look an absolute bell end.

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Hummvees all the way for me - I have a collection of both the shorts and long trousers. Like the fact that the Clickfast liners are attached. Bit of a chore that they don't officially selll the liners separately (for extras) although Google can be your friend on that one.
  • Bustacapp
    BigLights wrote:
    Hummvees all the way for me - I have a collection of both the shorts and long trousers. Like the fact that the Clickfast liners are attached. Bit of a chore that they don't officially selll the liners separately (for extras) although Google can be your friend on that one.

I'm not too bothered about liners. Or even know what they are. What I want to know is - are they well ventilated (my ride home in summer can be a bit hot) and do they resist the odd downpour?

thanks.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I wear humvees for commuting all year round. I use the liner and also wear them over my Bibs to ensure the girls at work can control themselves when I enter the office.
  • Bustacapp
    InkZ wrote:
    I wear humvees for commuting all year round. I use the liner and also wear them over my Bibs to ensure the girls at work can control themselves when I enter the office.

How are they when the heavens open?
  • safc2409
    safc2409 Posts: 30
    I wear the Humvee 3/4s and they are excellent, loads of pockets, very comfy and light and come with lycra inside which can be unclipped and removed. They look great too.
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Bustacapp wrote:

Let's just say they are not rainproof, or drizzle proof. Basically, you will get soaked wet if the rain catches you.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Nylon shouldn't stay soaked like cotton shorts or jeans. They should dry off quickly if they don't hold so much water in the fabric.

I'm looking for some shorts. Singletrack II looks good. They have cooling vents on the sides that can be opened or closed with a zip. I don't see how you can commute with long trousers in the summer.
  • Bustacapp
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    I don't see how you can commute with long trousers in the summer.

It's not too bad actually. It's cold enough at 6:30 am to warrant them. On the way home they don't get too hot due to massive average speeds. :D
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I've got a pair of the shorts which I wear over my bib and they are great. Lots of pockets and quite cool. I also have the trousers which are great for cold morning but I do find them a bit warm some afternoons. Rain wise a light shower beads nicely until they have been through the wash a few times and then they do soak through a bit but they dry relatively quickly. I have the liner but don't find it particularly comfortable to be honest. I might try it over the bib on the longer runs to see if double padding is beneficial but otherwise I don't use it. Overall I'd buy them again.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Mr.Duck
    Bustacapp wrote:
    It's not too bad actually. It's cold enough at 6:30 am to warrant them. On the way home they don't get too hot due to massive average speeds. :D
    May I assume it's downhill on the way back? :wink:
  • Bustacapp
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    May I assume it's downhill on the way back? :wink:

When I say 'massive average speeds' what I meant to say was 'annoying headwinds'. ;)
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Bustacapp wrote:
    InkZ wrote:

They dry out pretty quick. Nothing I wear is waterproof, I just make sure they are quick drying.
  • Ciar
    Ciar Posts: 28
    hummvee's love em use em for off & on roading, also like the liners, but i actually prefer using standalone lycra shorts
  • Mr.Duck
    Oh, BTW, with full length trousers, you might need some with leg length adjustment (do they exist?). Plus ankel tightness adjustment to stop it flappling and getting caught in the chainring. I briefly looked into trousers, and the size I need is probably XL to fit around the waist, but the leg length for Endura Hummvee is probably going to be really too long for me. I buy 34"/36" waist 30" leg jeans in regular shops. I think Endura size them for lean-and-fit-cycle types, not the could-do-with-losing-a-bit-of-weight tipes.
  • Bustacapp
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Oh, BTW, with full length trousers, you might need some with leg length adjustment (do they exist?). Plus ankel tightness adjustment to stop it flappling and getting caught in the chainring. I briefly looked into trousers, and the size I need is probably XL to fit around the waist, but the leg length for Endura Hummvee is probably going to be really too long for me. I buy 34"/36" waist 30" leg jeans in regular shops. I think Endura size them for lean-and-fit-cycle types, not the could-do-with-losing-a-bit-of-weight tipes.

I tried a pair of xxl on in evans the other day and they fitted nicely (albeit a little too long).
  • Mr.Duck
    What size leg length do you normally look for in regular shops?
  • Bustacapp
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    What size leg length do you normally look for in regular shops?

Dunno. I just usually go for waist size then try them on.