'Ride London' - 100 miles on a single speed, gear choice...

Bi50N
Bi50N Posts: 87
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm doing the Ride London 100 on the 4th August, and I've decided to tackle it on my single speed. It's an original Trek District, with a Gates belt drive.

Stock gearing was 55 - 22. I changed the rear sprocket to a 20 about two years ago, but I still have the 22 in the tool box.

My question is - what should I equip for the route? It's mostly flatish, with Leith Hill and Box Hill the two major obstacles I can see. Box Hill I've been up, and I'm confident of grinding up in the current set up, as it's a long but shallow drag. I've heard Leith Hill is significantly steeper though. Both hills come after 50 miles as well.

Also to consider - I'll be riding with my girlfriend (on a road bike) for whom the event is going to be a major challenge - we're aiming for an 8 hour time, so a fairly relaxed pace. Again, not sure if the easier gear could be an advantage here if I'm not looking for a high average speed on the flat.

Advice welcomed!

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Assuming you stick with the GF then you'll be grinding out a very low cadence if you go with something too high so I'd work out what her pace is likely to be and then gear yourself for that.

Or, work out what GI you need to hold 20-25mph, gear for that and then ditch the GF as close to the start as possible.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Leith Hill from Ockley Road averages 6.7% whilst Box Hill is 5%. They are both about the same length.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    I haven't ridden leigh hill but I have done 100 miles a few times on my single speed. With a 42-16 gearing (69 gear inches) and ridden up this http://app.strava.com/segments/619714

It was tough but doable. Your gearing falls either side of mine either 66 gear inches or 72.5.

So I would say the 55 - 20 would be tough and since you are going slower with the GF, no point going with the tougher gear as you wont be pushing it on the flats. So switch to the 55 - 20 and just spin along.

Will make it harder to drop the GF by accident as well and keep you fresher all the way round. Nothing worse than having to ride 'under' the gear all the way round at a low cadence. More likely to injure yourself or stress the knees.
  • Bi50N
    Thanks for the advice all, I'm erring towards the 22 (more for the sake of the knees). Need to find a bike shop with the sprocket removal tool, I know Action Bikes on Embankment had one ...

And @Wrath Rob... if that was an option, I'd be taking the fancy bike. And enjoying what would likely be my last ever ride on it...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bi50N wrote:
    And @Wrath Rob... if that was an option, I'd be taking the fancy bike. And enjoying what would likely be my last ever ride on it...
    LOL :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you have a geared bike, take it, you'll be more relaxed than riding round too slowly on a SS, it will be a minor irritation on the day and it's not what you want when you are being a domestique de luxe as well :)

otherwise what's the point in having a sunday best bike and not riding it on a sunday ??
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can get the fixed around those hills on a 75 GI (46x16) but for this I'd take something in the low 70s.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I would say firstly what bike is the most comftable for 8 hours?

Leith Hill is reasonbly steep so mid 7O inch gearing you may find a fair grind, going to high 60's may be more relaxed. Though depends on what you like re cadences.

If I'm pottering home with the wife riding slowly at low cadence is no issue.
  • Bi50N
    edhornby wrote:
    if you have a geared bike, take it, you'll be more relaxed than riding round too slowly on a SS, it will be a minor irritation on the day and it's not what you want when you are being a domestique de luxe as well :)

otherwise what's the point in having a sunday best bike and not riding it on a sunday ??

Ah, forgot to mention I'm on a charity place and am trying to raise sponsorship. Most of my friends know the prospect of being able to ride a closed roads circuit through some iconic London landmarks is not the greatest of personal sacrifices I'll ever be asked to make...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Asprilla wrote:
    Leith Hill from Ockley Road averages 6.7% whilst Box Hill is 5%. They are both about the same length.

yes but Box Hill never gets above about 7% and Leith Hill has stretches at 12-13%. I rode both and 3 more in the middle of a ride last month. Whitedown Lane was the steepest we rode, with Leith Hill a close second, Box Hill was a walk in the park in comparison.

gradients are on here:
    http://ridewithgps.com/users/166525/routes

I'd go with the 22 on the back - makes it easier to pootle along with the Mrs. Whateevr you choose you wont be able to go a slowly as her up the hills if she's in a granny gear!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I am sure I saw you ride the London Prudential 2013 did you do it I just came across this post
    I am thinking of riding Boxhill etc on my SS and thought I wonder if any one has ridden up on a SS
    I am on 42/17
    In fact I am riding the Pru again this year on a geared bike for Sense

I'm doing the Ride London 100 on the 4th August, and I've decided to tackle it on my single speed. It's an original Trek District, with a Gates belt drive.

Stock gearing was 55 - 22. I changed the rear sprocket to a 20 about two years ago, but I still have the 22 in the tool box.

My question is - what should I equip for the route? It's mostly flatish, with Leith Hill and Box Hill the two major obstacles I can see. Box Hill I've been up, and I'm confident of grinding up in the current set up, as it's a long but shallow drag. I've heard Leith Hill is significantly steeper though. Both hills come after 50 miles as well.

Also to consider - I'll be riding with my girlfriend (on a road bike) for whom the event is going to be a major challenge - we're aiming for an 8 hour time, so a fairly relaxed pace. Again, not sure if the easier gear could be an advantage here if I'm not looking for a high average speed on the flat.

Advice welcomed!
    • iPete
      iPete Posts: 6,076
      Box Hill is a gradual drag up and gearing isn't so much of an issue but it depends how powerful you are and its hard for us to decide what's suitable.

I've taken a 46x16 (fixed) up there a few times, although the other climbs in the area are a bit more difficult on that.
      I am sure I saw you ride the London Prudential 2013 did you do it I just came across this post
      I am thinking of riding Boxhill etc on my SS and thought I wonder if any one has ridden up on a SS
      I am on 42/17

Advice welcomed!
      • Bikequin
        Bikequin Posts: 402
        Given the number of lunatics who'll be knocking around I'd take a geared bike so you don't have to freewheel on the descents - if you want to ride the hills SS/fixed do it another weekend.
        You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
      • telesv650
        telesv650 Posts: 59
        Id go for a 46/18 or 48/18 as you will be going slowly. I've done a few BHF rides on 48/18 and found this more than fast enough. The biggest Issue I found was getting stopped on hills by the weight of rider climbing.
      • andrewc3142
        andrewc3142 Posts: 906
        Living in Woking I ride round that way almost every weekend, both geared and fixed.

My usual set-up on the fixed is 48/17 (74") and that's fine for Box Hill, and the likes of Staple, Green Dene, Critten Lane, Hound House. Also the rolling Hampshire lanes out towards Tilford, etc. Leith Hill goes, but you might not enjoy it.

For Leith, Combe Lane and similar I use 48/18 (70"), but it gets a bit spinny on the way down, or on the flat in a group of riders on geared bikes.

Barhatch, Crocknorth, Whitedown, Chapel Lane you might do some walking.
      • Bi50N
        I am sure I saw you ride the London Prudential 2013 did you do it I just came across this post
        I am on 42/17

Ha nice bump! Yes, I did it in the end in the 55/20 which is just between 48/17 and 48/18.

tumblr_inline_mr5rt1Ca2o1qz4rgp.jpg

Only Leith caused problems - I had to really haul on the bars, and I took a little rest at the fork where the route goes left, but pedalled the whole way. Box Hill is a piece of cake.

I found the descents fine (it was a SS, not fixed). We were going at a leisurely pace, so I wasn't competing with roadies trying to nail it down the back of Leith in top gear... Freewheeling was fast enough.