MEGA AM? ALPINE160 or Intense tracer?

hoolabloom
hoolabloom Posts: 164
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got any thoughts/Reviews on any of the above? Looking for a new frame to replace my Pitch pro and cant find much about the Nukeproof or New alpine in terms of reviews?

Keen to know about the sizing and shock options for a 6ft1 15 stone bloke.

Thanks in advice.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have ridden the Mega and the Alpine. I would buy the Mega, the Alpine is ok but feels a bit crude and doesnt pedal as well. Top shock mounts are a bit weak on the Orange as well. Also worth considering the Giant Reign X, I had one and its a great ride.
  • hoolabloom
    hoolabloom Posts: 164
    Cheers Rock monkey,

thought there may have been more folks commenting on the Mega AM. Is it up to the hype it has had.?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The new Mega has pretty much only just become available in UK and is probably on back order for many - doubt you are going to get a huge number of comments on the Mega just yet. The older version got pretty good reviews although relatively its pretty scarce on the ground still - I think there are a few owners who have posted theirs int he your bikes section.

I have my eye on a Mega or Mega TR - I wouldn't be looking at the Alpine but that's just me not any specific reason.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I have a 2012 Mega and love it! It rides really well! I came from an Orange and loved the way that rode, but the Mega just reels in the uphills, I can sit and pedal away on it all day!

I don't have any experience with the newer models, but I really don't know why they've split the Mega into two different models (the AM - 160mm and the TR - 130mm) it kind of takes away from the 'do anything' bike! The AM should have just been the MEGA and the TR should have been named something else IMO.
  • Cookied
    Cookied Posts: 16
    I have a 2013 mega AM with the cane creek shock and it rips down the trails really well, the rockier and faster the trail the more it performs. It's not the lightest frame around but for the money it's hard to beat.

Not had too many rides on it yet as it's only recently arrived but it's nice and stiff and tracks through the corners really well.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I have my eye on a Mega or Mega TR .

I had my arse on one recently (the TR), and very nice it felt too (the bike, not my arse).
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Another vote for the Reign for me
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp